We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Missing Luggage JFK > CDG > MAN

Liverpool, United...
Missing Luggage JFK > CDG > MAN

Dont know whether anyone can help me or offer me any advice please?

On 02/12 I flew from JFK to CDG with Delta, and then made a connecting flight from CDG to MAN on 03/12 with FlyBe. My luggage did not make it to Manchester, but my girlfriends did.

It's now 9 days since i returned home and my luggage hasnt been located anywhere. I completed a PIR form in Manchester and have so far heard nothing regarding my luggage, and i only get updates by me contacting Flybe - only to be informed that it has not been located yet.

The whole process of searching and finding luggage is extremely slow and frustrating. I still cant understand how luggage can go missing within an airport, and that even though it is fully labelled, and has been barcoded on check-in, no one is able to locate it.

Any advice, information, or help would be greatly appeciated.

9 replies to this topic
Watford, United...
reviews: 12
1. Re: Missing Luggage JFK > CDG > MAN

Your luggage is not officially 'lost' until a set period of time has passed (I think around 21 days). There is not much you can do until then as it is still officially 'delayed'.

Be patient, keep in touch with the airline and you may find that your bag will be reunited with you soon as only very few are lost forever.

Madrid
reviews: 7
2. Re: Missing Luggage JFK > CDG > MAN

You only have to watch baggage trucks racing around with bags falling off to realise your bag was 1 of them.Pitty you were going home,so travel insurance is no help yet.

Your bag will most likely turn up in the course of time,but i agree not much help at this precise moment.

Liverpool, United...
3. Re: Missing Luggage JFK > CDG > MAN

Its just frustrating when its been this long with no updates. We live in modern world where technology controls everything, we have this WorldTracer Services to track baggage yet everything moves at a snails pace :(

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
reviews: 71
4. Re: Missing Luggage JFK > CDG > MAN

Hi,

Baggage tracking really is REactive versus PROacive if you will.. By that I mean a bag can go undetected in the overall system until it gets to some point where the system kicks it out.

An example might be of your bag was accidentally mishandled at the connection point, and instead of being loaded onto your CDG-MAN flight, it got loaded or placed with the bags for a CDG-FRA flight that was being processed on the very next belt or gate..

When your bag tag was scanned (and this does assume the tag isn't/wasn't damaged or missing) in most cases an audible alarm is triggered alerting the user that this bag doesn't belong here..

There's a LOT of different places and ways a bag can go astray..

Many are human mishandling issues like simply not looking at or watching your scanner closely... Others can be mechanical or systems failures, like a diverter or baggage belt that jams or malfunctions..

Once it is "found" somewhere that it's not supposed to be, an agent will enter a "on hand" entry into WorldTracer... Depending on the airport, airline baggage volumes and staffing, this might be done only once a day..

Once the "on hand" report is in, WT then automatically seeks to match all the accumulated "on hand" reports it has, with all delayed reports that are still open.

If it detects a match or possible match, it sends a message to both parties about it.. and then a more detailed verification is done .. If it's right then the bag is forwarded by the "on hand" airport to wherever the delayed bag station requests.

Point here is that it's very much a reactive process... Until it shows up somewhere -- and noticed as such, there's not a whole lot that the airline or WT can do...

Some airlines are more aggressive in looking for and updating their WT entries-- others do it only as needed or once daily..

The odds that it will never show up are small.. Very small... But as to how long it is before it's found is impossible to say as we don't know the where or how.. It's just got to "turn up" somewhere so it can give recorded.

We do live in modern times with better technology and it has improved baggage issues .. Computer bag tags have vastly cut down on mishandled bags... If you worked on the 80's at an airport like Phoenix, you quickly grew tired of Portland, Oregon and v.v.

PHX versus PDX.. And since back then it was largely a hand written or colored coded tag used and without scanners, each station ended up with LOTS of bags for the other..

Travel Safe,

Edited: 10:40 pm, December 11, 2013
5. Re: Missing Luggage JFK > CDG > MAN

<My luggage did not make it to Manchester,but my girlfriends did>.

Purely out of curiosity how many girlfriends were you travelling with?

Liverpool, United...
6. Re: Missing Luggage JFK > CDG > MAN

Thanks for the reply and information.

I've had an update on my PIR today saying that my tag number has been picked up in Detroit, but the flight details and name are wrong. How this can be associated to another flyer when it's a unique reference is just strange.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
reviews: 71
7. Re: Missing Luggage JFK > CDG > MAN

Hi,

Bag tag numbers do, after some point in time, get recycled... They are issued carrier specific, so a tag number 1234567 can exist on nearly all carriers that use the CBT baggage process..

That said, what this sounds like is a *possible* case of "tag switch" whereby the tag that that the computer printed when you checked in, was put onto someone else's bag.

This *tends* to be a more common issue when the airport check-in counters aren't "staggered" and one is right next to the other with no space between them.

The agent may accidentally reach over/down and place the tag on the other persons bag that is on the scale/belt right next to yours.

Travel Safe,

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
8. Re: Missing Luggage JFK > CDG > MAN

Re GOPBI's explanation above.

>>That said, what this sounds like is a *possible* case of "tag switch" whereby the tag that that the computer printed when you checked in, was put onto someone else's bag. ...... This *tends* to be a more common issue when the airport check-in counters aren't "staggered" and one is right next to the other with no space between them.<<

This has been reported on here before, by a regular, who spotted it before leaving the check in desk - they'd inadvertently put someone else's baggage tag on his bag. If you see the way some airlines now do check in and bag drop - the agents multi-task across multiple passengers - I can see how this happens.

After reading that earlier thread, I now always check the tag on my bag to make sure they've put the correct one on it. It hadn't occurred to me to do that before, and I guess I've been lucky, and one reason these forums can be useful.

That's not a 100% guarantee that your bag will make it, as many things can still go wrong (the tag could be torn off by the automated baggage systems for example). But, performing your own check to make sure the correct tag is on your bag is probably the ONE thing you can do to help prevent a bag going astray.

Glad they've finally located your bag.

Edited: 11:42 am, December 12, 2013
Liverpool, United...
9. Re: Missing Luggage JFK > CDG > MAN

Hi, I wish they had found my case but I think that although the tags match, this case belongs to someone else as the name and flight number are associated to a flyer from a different country on a different flight.

The mystery of my missing bag continues...

Reply to: Missing Luggage JFK > CDG > MAN
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted