We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ESTA Visa Mistake!

Yorkshire, England
ESTA Visa Mistake!

Hi

I am wondering if someone can help me as I'm starting to get really worried!

My partner and I are travelling to America in August 2014 and I applied for our ESTA Visa's 4 days ago, when I checked yesterday mine has come back authorised and my partners hasnt, so I checked and I have by accidently click 'Yes' to him being a drug abuser/addict! And he's not!

I emailed the Visa place and they emailed back saying to reapply after 24 hours but I'm worried it will get denied again or will get accepted but when we get there they turn him away!

I'm such an idiot and VERY worried as he doesn't even know he's going as its a surprise so cant even speak to him regarding this!

Any help or advice from anyone would be very much appreciated!

28 replies to this topic
Liverpool, UK
reviews: 13
1. Re: ESTA Visa Mistake!

The good news is that you have plenty of time to sort this out as you are not travelling until Aug 2014 - once you've submitted the ESTA application there is no way (as far as I'm aware) of correcting any errors and if the ESTA application is declined then you could resubmit the application but I would expect it to be denied as well as you'll be applying on the same passport.

Assuming you don't get an ESTA the only option is to obtain a VISA from the US Embassy which is time consuming and more expensive.

Dubai, United Arab...
reviews: 12
2. Re: ESTA Visa Mistake!

Firstly do not panic. You have all the time to fix any issue, if there are any.

Secondly, do as you have been told to and re-apply.

Thirdly, even if an ESTA application should be denied that would only mean that the person you have applied for will need to apply for a visa at an US Embassy or Consulate.

Yorkshire, England
3. Re: ESTA Visa Mistake!

Ok I will probably reapply like they have said. I'm really worried though that it will get approved but we'll get to the US and they wont let him in.. I cant believe what I've done I am such an idiot.

I'm telling him about the surprise Christmas day but its not going to look good saying, "Oh we are going to Vegas for our 21st's..... but at the moment you cant get in the US because your known to them as a drug abuser" I just hope to God I can sort this.

Thanks for all your replies everyone.

Liverpool, UK
4. Re: ESTA Visa Mistake!

Don't worry as we've all made mistakes buying flight tickets, ESTA applications etc but at least you were applying in plenty of time to fix it - think how bad it would be if you were due to fly next week.

If the ESTA application and any second application, which for the sake of accuracy is not a VISA but part of the Visa Waiver Programme, is rejected then your partner will need to attend the US Embassy for an interview to get a proper US Visitor Visa (costs around $160 I think) in order to travel - he wont even get on the plane without an ESTA or VISA in place.

Another option that might work but it will still be expensive is to apply for a new UK passport and apply for an ESTA on the new passport as ESTAs and Passports are linked - might be an option to save the trouble of attending an interview but there is always the risk that they match his name/DoB etc to reject the ESTA.

Camden, Australia
reviews: 33
5. Re: ESTA Visa Mistake!

"Another option that might work but it will still be expensive is to apply for a new UK passport and apply for an ESTA on the new passport as ESTAs and Passports are linked - might be an option to save the trouble of attending an interview but there is always the risk that they match his name/DoB etc to reject the ESTA."

VERY bad advice IMO. There is No risk of his name being linked - there IS certainty.

London
reviews: 69
6. Re: ESTA Visa Mistake!

Getting a new UK passport just for this is a crazy plan.

Do you not think they may notice that two individuals with the same name and date of birth may be spotted?

When (and not if) they spot it, they will think that you are deliberately trying to give them the runaround.

Just call them and explain your mistake

Yorkshire, England
7. Re: ESTA Visa Mistake!

I will probably just re apply then see what happens, and if it gets denied again I will ring them and speak to them. I think when travelling I will print off the email I sent them and they sent back and then I have proof of everything.

I just dont want 9 months of worry and stress scared he wont be able to get into US when we get there.

Thanks

Liverpool, UK
8. Re: ESTA Visa Mistake!

"Just call them and explain your mistake" - Call who? - From the ESTA website

"Please note that Embassies and Consulates are not able to provide details about ESTA denials or resolve the issue that caused the ESTA denial. Embassies and Consulates will be able to process an application for a non-immigrant visa that, if approved, will be the only way that a traveler whose ESTA application has been denied would be authorized to travel to the United States."

Dubai, United Arab...
reviews: 12
9. Re: ESTA Visa Mistake!

Just relax and take it step by step.

And by the way, even if you are a known drug user you can still travel to the US. Just think about all the pop and rock stars.

Again, relax.

London
reviews: 69
10. Re: ESTA Visa Mistake!

Phone the US Border Agency.

Reply to: ESTA Visa Mistake!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted