We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cancel flight in Turkish Airlines - Taxes refund

Paris
Cancel flight in Turkish Airlines - Taxes refund

Hello,

Anyone was already in a situation where they had to cancel a flight in Turkish Airlines?

I booked a flight, non refundable, that I am aware.

But I am also aware that only the fare was non refundable (around 350 eur)

There were around 300 eur of taxes which I am entitled to be refunded, however they said they will only return 50 ....

Anyone can advise?

13 replies to this topic
Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
reviews: 71
1. Re: Cancel flight in Turkish Airlines - Taxes refund

Hi;

Did they give you a clear explanation or "accounting" if you will, of how they arrived at that figure?

Some carriers can and do assess a fee for completing such refunds -- and be careful that you've correctly classified what is in fact a government tax (thus possibly refund eligible) and what is a carrier-imposed fee (like a fuel surcharge) which may not be refundable.

Only from the limited information you've posted, it *sounds* like perhaps TK is assessing a fee to execute your refund ...

Travel Safe,

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 23
2. Re: Cancel flight in Turkish Airlines - Taxes refund

"There were around 300 eur of taxes which I am entitled to be refunded, however they said they will only return 50 ....Anyone can advise?"

Although I don't know if this applies to your fare I know that some airlines include other fees such as fuel surcharges in the fees and tax element of the fare and these are non refundable - I would be surprised if taxes alone amounted to around 300 Euros.

London, United...
3. Re: Cancel flight in Turkish Airlines - Taxes refund

Possibly you have misunderstood the refundable tax element as well as not comprehended any cancellation fee. Ask them to break it down for you.

London
reviews: 21
4. Re: Cancel flight in Turkish Airlines - Taxes refund

Turkish Airlines lists the base fare then 'Taxes, fees and carrier charges' - only a portion of the latter amount is actually taxes.

Paris
5. Re: Cancel flight in Turkish Airlines - Taxes refund

indeed the big issue is that they didn't detailed the taxes.....but anyway, got the main idea, they can play with the taxes in order to refund the minimum possible

thank you all for your replies!

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 15
6. Re: Cancel flight in Turkish Airlines - Taxes refund

No they can't, what is refundable are government or airport taxes that are only paid if you fly. Turkish has no control over these.

London, United...
7. Re: Cancel flight in Turkish Airlines - Taxes refund

No they can't do that. It's simply you need to be able to understand what is taxes, what is fees and what is charges. The tax is a set amount, set by the government, it's simply you don't know how much it is and assumed the whole amount was tax.

There is probably a cancellation fee that is partially offsetting the tax refund, resulting in the 50 bucks due back.

8. Re: Cancel flight in Turkish Airlines - Taxes refund

Hi..i have the same case i pay 650 eur for ticket and cancel and they said that they will refund only 50 eur.

Crazy

Edinburgh, United...
9. Re: Cancel flight in Turkish Airlines - Taxes refund

It is all covered in the T&Cs turkishairlines.com/en-uk/travel-information…

You will note that they refer to "refundable taxes"...the rest of the taxes and fees together with the actual fare are forfeited on a non-refundable ticket

Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
reviews: 13
10. Re: Cancel flight in Turkish Airlines - Taxes refund

Taxes on international flights are usually small, at least in Euroland, no VAT.

Here is the tax list of 372E for my last Bangkok flight (622E total).

As you can see 318E are fuel cost, so the remaining items are just 58E.

Taxes, fees and carrier charges

Passenger Service Charge (Domestic) 16.62 (EUR)

Airport Service Charge (International) 10.0 (EUR)

Council City Tax 6.5 (EUR)

Passenger Service Charge 1.23 (EUR)

Security Charge 2.63 (EUR)

Security Bag Charge 1.01 (EUR)

Embarkation Tax 16.51 (EUR)

Insurance and fuel fee 318.0 (EUR)

Edited: 5:37 pm, August 30, 2014
Reply to: Cancel flight in Turkish Airlines - Taxes refund
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted