We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long before a SW flight can bags be checked?

Australia
reviews: 20
How long before a SW flight can bags be checked?

Returning from a cruise in Miami at 8am and flying out of Fort Lauderdale at 5pm with Southwest. If we go straight from the port to the airport can we check bags in that early.. assuming it will be before 12noon? Just thinking maybe if we can check the bags we might be able to spend a few hours somewhere other than the airport.

5 replies to this topic
Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
reviews: 71
1. Re: How long before a SW flight can bags be checked?

Hi,

The "norm" tends to be 3hours, but it can vary based on not only the carrier, but sometimes the airport in question.

If ring WN and see what is their formal policy on to matter and of there is a FLL specific exception.

Travel safe,

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 17
2. Re: How long before a SW flight can bags be checked?

Have you looked into maybe lockers or a baggage room at the airport?

Fortaleza, CE
reviews: 348
3. Re: How long before a SW flight can bags be checked?

Call Southwest at the airport itself. While the "official" rule may be 3 hours, I've run into cases (e.g., US at DCA), where an airline would allow anyone to check-in as long as the counter is open, and I imagine WN (Southwest) has flights before that. I can't remember the last time I saw lockers at an airport since 9/11, but even if there are no lockers or baggage room, there may be a commercial service, as there is at LAX. If WN doesn't give you hope, contact the airport. If push comes to shove, just go to the airport and see if you can check in. Southwest seems flexible in most ways.

Edited: 8:00 am, December 09, 2013
Perth, Australia
reviews: 15
4. Re: How long before a SW flight can bags be checked?

We arrived into LAX from Australia on an early morning flight and had an onward flight with Southwest to Las Vegas at 1pm. We headed across to Terminal 1 at around 7am to see whether we could check in, but were told we could not check in any earlier than 4 hours before the flight.

Australia
reviews: 20
5. Re: How long before a SW flight can bags be checked?

Thanks everyone for your replies looks like maybe I should just ring them before the cruise. I'd rather not have to hang around the airport all day or drag suitcases around!

Reply to: How long before a SW flight can bags be checked?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted