We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ryanair 2nd piece of hand baggage

Billericay, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Ryanair 2nd piece of hand baggage

Do any of you know whether the small bag is measured on the size of the bag or if it fits into a box of the dimensions?

I have a bag which is bigger than it says but which will easily squash into a container of the specified dimensions.

Many thanks

105 replies to this topic
Madeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Funchal, Madeira, Madeira Islands
Level Contributor
6,602 posts
48 reviews
1. Re: Ryanair 2nd piece of hand baggage

From Ryanair website

UNCHECKED BAGGAGE

<.1 You may carry one cabin bag per passenger (no allowance for infants travelling on their parents lap) weighing up to 10kg with maximum dimensions of 55cm x 40cm x 20cm, plus 1 small bag up to 35 x 20 x 20 cms. >

They are normally very strict on size.

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Santa Ponsa
Level Contributor
11,966 posts
81 reviews
2. Re: Ryanair 2nd piece of hand baggage

Are you allowed a 2nd piece of hand baggage? I always thought it was strictly one bag.

Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
27,216 posts
51 reviews
3. Re: Ryanair 2nd piece of hand baggage

It changed on 1st December.

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Santa Ponsa
Level Contributor
11,966 posts
81 reviews
4. Re: Ryanair 2nd piece of hand baggage

not used them lately so didn't know that, handy to know.

wirral
Level Contributor
17,182 posts
88 reviews
5. Re: Ryanair 2nd piece of hand baggage

Extra bag can be a ladies handbag or airport shopping carrier bag.I don't think the intention was ever to increase the authorised amount of pre-packed luggage in carry-on.More to encourage spending in the airport.

Dunfermline, United...
4 posts
1 review
6. Re: Ryanair 2nd piece of hand baggage

I will be travelling with Ryanair soon and phoned them today. They confirmed that there is no weight limit on the second 35 x 20 x 20 small bag. But I cannot find one anywhere near the size, Nobody makes one yet . The nearest seems to be small bowling bag. I may end up buying one of those for myself. My wife's handbag is just inside the correct size.

UK
Level Contributor
49,574 posts
93 reviews
7. Re: Ryanair 2nd piece of hand baggage

The intention was that it's a duty free plastic bag with a bottle in it. There is no compulsion to take a second one.

Someone posted the other day that they saw a "sizer cage" for the second bag as no doubt everyone will seemingly deem it mandatory to (a) bring a second bag and (b) push the size limits.

Midlands
Level Contributor
260 posts
69 reviews
8. Re: Ryanair 2nd piece of hand baggage

I agree with you, I'm pleased being able to take a second bag only so I can put in the contents that I need for the flight, ie kindle, ipod and wallet. I was fed up of being told to put them in my suitcase only to have to unpack them again as soon as I board.

The problem will be people using this as being able to take more clothing, push the rules then complain about it.

bradford
Level Contributor
160 posts
15 reviews
9. Re: Ryanair 2nd piece of hand baggage

Not sure if you aware if more than 90 ha d luggage on flight they will ask if want to go in hold free of charge!! This happened to me.

Oban, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
55 posts
105 reviews
10. Re: Ryanair 2nd piece of hand baggage

Just returned from Malaga with Ryaniar today. I can confirm the usual sizing frame has been modified with a second smaller box being bolted onto the front. We were near the end of boarding and had our carry on cases tagged and taken from us to be carried in the hold.(its not a choice) We were happy with this but some others were getting irate. The fact is, when we got onboard there really was not a drop of space left in the overheads.

We travel with ryanair a lot and have noticed the fixation they had with weight seems to have been dispensed with, but gamble at your own risk,, im still sticking to the 10kg. I have to say their new customer service approach and improved website is hitting the mark with me.

Reply to: Ryanair 2nd piece of hand baggage
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted