We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air Asia fly thru

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 1
Air Asia fly thru

I am hoping someone will think of a solution for me - I booked Chiang Mai to KL and then KL to Melbourne in two different bookings with Air Asia. It is the first time I have booked with Air Asia and just presumed they would check my luggage at Chiang Mai thru to Melbourne. I have read terms and conditions and have now realised that they do not check luggage through to the final destination as I have made two separate bookings. There is slightly less than two hours from landing in KL and leaving KL to Melb, so I dont think this is enough time to clear immigration, collect luggage and then recheck luggage into KL to Melb flight. My holiday time is precious and I don't really want to take the morning flight from Chiang Mai to KL as this means I am in the airport all day. I was hoping to have the day in Chiang Mai and catch the late afternoon flight to KL and then the night flight to Melb. Does anyone have any experience with Air Asia - would they be flexable and change my two flights into the one booking, so that I don't have to collect luggage at KL and then check it in again?

13 replies to this topic
Poulton-le-Fylde, UK
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
reviews: 61
1. Re: Air Asia fly thru

From all previous replires and dealing with AirAsia, I do not think they will convert two separate flights into one fly thru. Your connection is too tight so an earlier incoming or later oitgoing connection is, I think, your only option.

Brisbane
reviews: 26
2. Re: Air Asia fly thru

No chance of them changing it unfortunately, 2 hours isn't enough to transfer international to international so you might need to spend a night in KL or see if you can do Chiang Mai to Bangkok then to KL.

Hong Kong, China
reviews: 126
3. Re: Air Asia fly thru

I think it would be cheaper to change your chiangmai flight rather than your Melbourne flight. No refunds on air Asia but after you do a no-show you can call them up and they will refund the taxes.

Have you been to KL before? If not, spend a night there before flying out to Melbourne.

QUEENSLAND AUSTRALIA
reviews: 47
4. Re: Air Asia fly thru

When are you flying? there are 2 flights out of chiang mai to K/L, 9.10am and 3.15pm, the 3.15pm flight arrives into K/L at 7.05pm, your flight to melbourne (according to air asia) leaves at 10.30pm, this gives you plenty of time to collect your baggage and check in

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 1
5. Re: Air Asia fly thru

Aussie010 when I read your post, I thought - maybe I have it wrong, but I just checked again, it says it arrives in KL at 20.45 - it is next September.

I want to say thank you for all your responses, I did email them a few days ago, with no reply, so I am guessing I have no hope, especially with all your responses. The added twist is that I am travelling with a friend, who booked it all in one booking. I have booked the KL to MEL in premium, so it says i can do a time change for that flight. So I guess i will have to stay in KL a night and wave goodbye to my friend!

I can't understand why they wouldn't change it - just because they have a rule and they dont break rules. Any recommendations where I should stay in KL?

Hong Kong, China
reviews: 126
6. Re: Air Asia fly thru

This is the reality of flying low cost carriers- inflexibility in exchange for low fares. The premium cabin in air Asia, however, is fabulous. Enjoy.

As for KL hotels, depends on your budget, but it's a great city for affordable four or five star. In bukit bintang (shopping area) Royale Chulan is one of my favourites. Parkroyal is also excellent. As you're going to the low cost terminal, staying at the Hilton or le meridien wouldn't be as convenient as it would be if you were taking the train to the main airport. I'm sure others will have other suggestions, but feel free to pm me with any questions.

Chiang Mai...
reviews: 9
7. Re: Air Asia fly thru

Dear Macanai,

I know it has been a while since your flight from Chiang Mai - KL - Melbourne.

Now, I Just booked the same ticket that you have had last year. So I wonder what happen in the end?

I plan to check through from Chiang Mai to Melbourne but worried that I have to pick up my luggage and check in again...

Poulton-le-Fylde, UK
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
reviews: 61
8. Re: Air Asia fly thru

If you are on a Fly Thru ticket your luggage goes straight through and you stay in transit and you do not have to check in again for second flight.

Chiang Mai...
reviews: 9
9. Re: Air Asia fly thru

Thanks, Arandora I have recheck with call centre today and they have also confirm that no check in needed between transit. Anyway, thanks for your answer : )

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
reviews: 594
10. Re: Air Asia fly thru

You need to recheck with the call centre if the 2 flights are on the one booking(flythrough) AA will check your luggage through to the final destination.

Tommo

Reply to: Air Asia fly thru
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted