We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cellphone use during flights? No way!!

Chicago
reviews: 40
Cellphone use during flights? No way!!

I was disappointed to hear of cellphone use during flights. I cannot imagine all the loud nonstop chattering! The FCC let the decision up to the individual airlines. Hence, I wrote SWA and the flight attendant union to protest.

SWA called me today and thanked me for writing.

I encourage everyone to write their airline and protest use of cellphone during flights.

We got to stop this insanity before it starts... and before its too late!

Act now!!!

40 replies to this topic
Atlanta, Georgia
reviews: 12
1. Re: Cellphone use during flights? No way!!

"I was disappointed to hear of cellphone use during flights"

Slow down there, Chicken Little. Where did you see this? AFAIK the use of cellphones during flights has NOT been approved, but is currently only being discussed.

What HAS been approved is the use of portable electronics (i.e. tablets, etc) below 10,000 feet, so you no longer need to power down your electronics when flying on participating airlines. Nothing has changed about the use of these devices above 10,000 feet; it's just been expanded to include takeoff and landing.

To the best of my knowledge, using cellphones to make calls is still prohibited, and phones are still required to be in "airplane" mode during flights.

-JimG

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds
reviews: 130
2. Re: Cellphone use during flights? No way!!

And if it ever does come in, invest in a pair of noise cancelling headphones.

London, United...
reviews: 23
3. Re: Cellphone use during flights? No way!!

>>Slow down there, Chicken Little<<

Hahaha,,,agree with jim.

This has been discussed before and common opinion is that phones are available on many flights today but no one uses them as the price is so high, so even if mobiles are approved, if the price is the same as it is today, then it's not relevant, if the price drops then sure, but we have not even got the approval to use them yet..lol.

London, United...
reviews: 23
4. Re: Cellphone use during flights? No way!!

And yes, agree also, noise cancelling headphones does the remainder of the job. No biggie.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
reviews: 776
5. Re: Cellphone use during flights? No way!!

There was a blurb on the national USA news a few days ago about this. I was only half listening, let me see if I can find it...... ah, this looks like it:

cbsnews.com/news/…

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
reviews: 36
6. Re: Cellphone use during flights? No way!!

Won't be an issue

They will just set up quiet zones on planes.

Might have to pay extra to go into the chattering zone

Or vice versa

Michael O Leary will lead the way and show other airlines how to cash in.

Depends how much it costs to install the hardware too I suppose.

When it finally gets approved and installed we can look forward to threads such as

The cellphone didnt work how much compo will I get?

I suffered sleep deprivation due to the passenger next to me chatting away all night.

RIP OFF : I spoke to my girlfriend/boyfriend all the way from Gatwick to Cancun and its cost me ££££££s

Don't fly with this airline again.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 53
7. Re: Cellphone use during flights? No way!!

And if it ever does come in, invest in a pair of noise cancelling headphones.

Don;t. Invest in noise ISOLATING headphones, noise cancelling just makes it worse, it cancels the ambient noise thereby amplifying those that aren't (crying, talking etc.)

New York City, New...
reviews: 77
8. Re: Cellphone use during flights? No way!!

>>Don't invest in noise ISOLATING headphones, noise cancelling just makes it worse. It cancels the ambient noise thereby amplifying those that aren't <<

Thanks for confirming this. I was thinking of buying a pair of these expensive earphones, but was dubious they really work. I figure they're no better than the cheap earplugs you can pick up at your local hardware/Do-It-Yourself store. And yes, that's exactly what happens, it tends to dull out the more tolerable sounds so the really irritating noises that get through tend to be more irritating =p

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 75
9. Re: Cellphone use during flights? No way!!

They're fantastic for dampening out the plane roar so you can hear a movie for example. But if you have a noisy person next to you, they won't eliminate that. I find them a big help on airplanes.

kentucky
reviews: 38
10. Re: Cellphone use during flights? No way!!

Quiet Zones on flights? harharhar

Mr Bluetooth will walk the aisles sipping his double scotch, blustering his way thru the entire business call, while putting his giant paw on every other seatback in one row to steady himself. Write to any significant department possible. Then--pray, people, pray...

Edited: 7:54 pm, December 04, 2013
Reply to: Cellphone use during flights? No way!!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted