We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luggage

Ipswich, United...
reviews: 6
Luggage

We are flying BA to NYC in February, I have a holdall which I want to take as hand luggage it's the Tripp Superlite III, it's measurements are Height 27cm, width 44cm, depth 24cm, now I've looked at BA's allowance and they allow the following 1 piece of hand baggage (56cm x 45cm x 25cm).

Now I'm not planning to fill this bag however with the dimensions being so tight do you think I will be ok?

14 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 11
1. Re: Luggage

If it is within the maximum size specified by the airline, why would you expect any problem?

Norfolk England
reviews: 74
2. Re: Luggage

Hi

I have flown BA a few times now and as you, my bags fit the measurements so no trouble at all. They also never weigh your bags in my experience, I think it's huge allowence anyway (23kg?). Just need to be able to put in the locker unaided.

You will be surprised at some of the others people bags. you will wonder how they get away with it!

Clive

Ipswich, United...
3. Re: Luggage

I'm concerned there is just 1cm difference between 2 of the dimensions. Just wondered whether I would expect any problems and might be better off getting a slightly smaller bag.

UK
reviews: 81
4. Re: Luggage

No one can say for sure whether you'll have a problem, you will probably be OK but if they did insist you put it in the sizer then they may say you cannot.

My cases are always within the limits but I often see people with ones that are much bigger but I know the day I bring one like that will be the day they are having a crackdown. 45 isn't very tall so you could certainly get another one which would let you pack more. I'm assuming your Tripp is a hard bodied? (I have a couple of Tripps that are) so its not like a holdall where you can squash it in and would get away with it?

Ipswich, United...
5. Re: Luggage

It's a holdall not a hard case which is why I think I will be ok but having only ever flown once and only had checked baggage and a handbag I'm a bit new to all this. I am OCD about planning which doesn't help as makes me worry to much about these things.

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 125
6. Re: Luggage

As it's a holdall and isn't like a hard shell case it will still fit into the case gauge so it won't be a problem as they don't actually measure the case with a tape measure, it just has to fit into the metal cage.

Norfolk England
reviews: 74
7. Re: Luggage

Hi

I would not worry, no they don't get the tape out. If it's a soft bag then it can measure way over the stated sizes as long as you haven't over stuffed it and if needed can be squashed into the bag cage. They are not Ryanair,lol.

If you are travelling from T5 I can't even remember seeing a cage, although there must be one!

Enjoy your flight, BA overall is a pleasant airline to fly with.

Clive

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
8. Re: Luggage

< with the dimensions being so tight >

You have a bag 44x27x24 which is less than half the size of 56x45x25 - that isn't tight

Ipswich, United...
9. Re: Luggage

Thanks for that, I feel a lot better about things now, My OCD just takes over sometimes and I need that bit of reassurance!

UK
reviews: 81
10. Re: Luggage

Doh now it's me being idiotic and not spotting that it's actually smaller than the dimensions needed

Reply to: Luggage
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted