We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air New Zealand Baggage Linear Size Limit 158cm

Auckland Region...
Air New Zealand Baggage Linear Size Limit 158cm

I am going to Japan on the 15th of December so I bought a Intrepid 76cm travel bag and later found out that baggage size limit is 158cm...

My flight is Air NZ in partnership with Cathay (both have the same regulated limit).

So I called Air New Zealand for further details and measured the bag, which came up 154cm with a error margin of +/-2cm. The customer service rep told me that this should be fine... but it is quite close to the limit;;

So is there anyone that traveled recently with the same travel bag (or a 76cm one)?

If you did, did you get through check-in with that? Or did you have to pay over-weight charges?

Thanks in advance!

5 replies to this topic
Auckland Region...
1. Re: Air New Zealand Baggage Linear Size Limit 158cm

Full measurements.

Height (Excluding handles and legs as mentioned by Airline staff) - 79cm

Length - 48cm

Depth - 28cm

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 13
2. Re: Air New Zealand Baggage Linear Size Limit 158cm

I've travelled with cases close to the maximum dimensions with other airlines and never had an issue - in my experience your bag will be weighed but not measured unless it's clearly oversize.

I would add that despite what the airline staff say you should include handles/legs in your measurements as every airline I've ever flown says these have to be included when measuring baggage.

Sunshine Coast...
reviews: 14
3. Re: Air New Zealand Baggage Linear Size Limit 158cm

I agree with Tom - every airline I've ever checked always INCLUDES the handles and wheels in their measurements as they are interested in the external size of the bag ie how much room it's going to need to store it. If you think about it that makes sense because it's not as if the handles and wheels magically disappear when you check you luggage in!

Luggage manufacturers on the other hand regularly label bags with the INTERNAL measurements as that relates to how much stuff you can fit into the bag.

Unfortunately these two conflicting measurements leave a lot of people confused.

It seems as if your bag is going to be right on the limit size wise. One thing to consider is with a bag that big you will be tempted to fill it which means the bag is likely to be overweight. You will need to be very careful and weigh your bag before getting to the airport so that you know you meet the weight restrictions.

Melbourne
reviews: 1
4. Re: Air New Zealand Baggage Linear Size Limit 158cm

I flew MEL-AKL-SFO return with Air NZ in June with a huge Antler suitcase. It's this case: theluggageprofessionals.com.au/antler-luggag… which has the following measurements: 82 x 50 x 33. Those dimensions are 165cm total but there was no issue with the bag, I wonder if the rules have changed since June?

I found this on Air NZ's site: "Any piece of baggage that weighs over 23kg but less than 32kg and/or exceeds the total linear dimensions (length+width+height) of 158cm (62") will be subject to an overweight/oversize charge.

The bag was well under 23 kg but I see an "and/or" in that sentence, maybe we were just lucky, but we definitely didn't pay for oversize baggage.

Edit - I agree that there is the temptation to fill the bag, but in our case we have a bag this size so we can fit the hiking poles into it. I have a set of luggage scales and always make sure the bags are under the weight limit. I don't know if the airlines scrutinise the bag less if it's not overweight.

Edited: 4:31 am, December 04, 2013
Auckland Region...
5. Re: Air New Zealand Baggage Linear Size Limit 158cm

Thx for the replies!

I won't be filling the bag up to the brim, it was mostly bought for the return trip home.

Reply to: Air New Zealand Baggage Linear Size Limit 158cm
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted