We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

United Airlines refuses to give refund for cancelled tickets

Providence, Rhode...
reviews: 47
United Airlines refuses to give refund for cancelled tickets

I purchased three first class tickets. Their rules allow for cancellation with full refund within 24 hours. I called within 24 hours and spoke with an agent who told me the ticket was cancelled. However, I found out days later that this ticket was not cancelled!! I am guessing that what happened was the agent on the phone must have thought I was calling about a different confirmation number with a farelock (and same itinerary) that had cancelled that same day Of course, I have no idea for sure... all I know is I called and was told that it was cancelled and want the charge credited back to my account. When I submitted the refund request over the phone and via email, I got a 'canned' response saying non-refundable tickets get a credit... no comment on the specifics that I called in this case and cancelled. How do you prove you called?

London, United...
reviews: 23
1. Re: United Airlines refuses to give refund for cancelled tickets

Why would the agent think you were calling about a different ticket,,,did you give the correct reservation number? Did you cancel more than the first class tickets on the same call?

I would suggest writing to them and asking for a recording of the call, sometimes they do this. However I think even if you get this resolved, it's not going to be quick. It's very easy for people to say they cancelled obviously when they did not.

Did you not get any confirmation it was cancelled, not check the trip etc on manage my booking?

Providence, Rhode...
reviews: 47
2. Re: United Airlines refuses to give refund for cancelled tickets

Thanks for the suggestion about seeing if they recorded the phone call.

Of course, I gave the booking number when i called. The agent said to hold, came back on and said it is cancelled. I said thank you and that was that. Have done it many times.

I make lots of reservations and didn't think any more about it until i checked my United page online several days later and saw this booking was still current. In retrospect, I am guessing that the agent just saw the other booking that cancelled the same day and assumed we were all set.

The real problem is how to I prove that I called within the 24hour period to cancel the booking if there is no taped conversation?

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 91
3. Re: United Airlines refuses to give refund for cancelled tickets

I don't know how you can resolve this now. In the future, when you actually cancel a reservation, UA sends you a confirmation immediately.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
4. Re: United Airlines refuses to give refund for cancelled tickets

sle3364,

I would echo Froggy's suggestion and ask for the recording to be played back. You have the date and time of the call as well as your reservation number, right?

And some advice for the future - ALWAYS check your reservation immediately the agent tells you it's been canceled, changed, upgraded, etc, etc.. If you can, check online while the agent is still on the phone. I had an issue last year getting an upgrade, and it never showed in my reservation even though the agent tried at least five times. It turned out to be a system issue (just after the merger) and it took 40 minutes to resolve while I was on the call.

And, here's a thought. Were you logged into the reservation (and viewing it) on united.com while talking to the agent? Because the above system issue I had was that because I was accessing the reservation, the changes made by the agent weren't getting updated. As soon as I logged out, she made the change and when I logged in again it was there. So, I'm wondering if you had the same issue, in which case it would not have been the agent's fault but SHARES (the aged Continental reservations system they decided to go with after the merger).

Edited: 2:56 am, December 04, 2013
London, United...
5. Re: United Airlines refuses to give refund for cancelled tickets

>>In the future, when you actually cancel a reservation, UA sends you a confirmation immediately.<<

If this is the case, and I would expect it to be so, and the op has cancelled." Many times" they should have known to look out for the confirmation. No?

Atlanta, Georgia
reviews: 14
6. Re: United Airlines refuses to give refund for cancelled tickets

"check online while the agent is still on the phone"

This.

I *always* make sure I have the airline website open and the booking information right in front of me any time I discuss anything with an airline representative. Whenever possible I try to do this from home where I am relatively free from distractions, using my laptop (large screen, full website access) to make sure I see everything. I also confirm with the rep that I can can see the results of what they are doing.

Buying an airline ticket is not like buying an item at the corner store. In most cases, there is no going back once you are committed, so you have to pay attention to details and verify everything after (or preferably during) the fact. Leave nothing to chance - in most cases you can't just "take it back to the store" if you change your mind later.

-JimG

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 34
7. Re: United Airlines refuses to give refund for cancelled tickets

Last time I had to cancel a United flight in that 24 hour window, I did it on line keeping a PDF showing the time I cancelled in case of future issues. I always prefer to do on line rather than count on someone over the phone

Fortaleza, CE
reviews: 378
8. Re: United Airlines refuses to give refund for cancelled tickets

If canceled by phone, agent would give a cancellation #. Of course, OP would quickly confirm that the reservation was, in fact, canceled. The bit about canceling another reservation (same itinerary?) on the same day (separate cancellation #, right?), adds some confusion.

We obviously can't resolve this. If you call UA reservations, they should explain things. Canned response when you call them??? I get a live person (eventually) when I call UA reservations.

Edited: 7:28 am, December 04, 2013
London, United...
9. Re: United Airlines refuses to give refund for cancelled tickets

I would put good money on the airline having lots of people saying,,," but I did cancel, honest guv. it's your agent, now give me my money" .

If a cancellation notice was supposed to be sent through, I can't understand why it was not or why someone who has cancelled many times would not know this,

Ask for a recording of the call. You have the date and time, If you did not cancel it, or you cancelled the wrong one, and know it, be prepared to lose or stop fighting it now.

10. Re: United Airlines refuses to give refund for cancelled tickets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, December 06, 2014