We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Webjet airfares that are lower than the airlines

Wellington, New...
reviews: 8
Webjet airfares that are lower than the airlines

Hi,

I'm hopefully planning on going to Hong Kong/Tokyo next month and am tossing up my options. While looking through the airfares, I have found that Webjet shows a WLG-HKG/HKG-HND/HND-WLG itinerary for $2500. It also had just WLG-TYO/TYO-WLG (no Hong Kong stopover) for $2200. Cathay Pacific doesn't have these airfares on their website. So my question is, what's the catch? Why does web jet have them for so low. And is it a legitimate site for booking air fares?

I know there's talk of using them to scout for the fares then scoot over to the airline site to buy the flights which I'd much prefer but since Webjet has these flights so cheap and the only reason I would need to make changes would be due to unforeseen events (i.e. the type insurance would cover), is there any reason not to go through Webjet?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
reviews: 58
1. Re: Webjet airfares that are lower than the airlines

Type in 'WebJet' into the search box at the top of the page. Get a big cup of coffee, some food and ready yourself for a long read.

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 154
2. Re: Webjet airfares that are lower than the airlines

Their booking fee is a reason not to use them. And the fact that you will incur extra fees if you do need to make a change is another reason. But if the difference is significant and you have weighed up the benefits, then use them. http://www.webjet.com.au is a legitimate company.

Maybe check out skyscanner and see if they can find even cheaper?

Admittedly it is strange that Webjet would have cheaper fares than the airline, usually they match exactly what the airline is selling the tickets for. I have seen certain combinations/prices with Cathay Pacific before which aren't available on the Cathay site but are available on third party sites (and they are available all the way through to the payment page) but then eventually the same combinations did show up on the Cathay site.

Perth, Australia
reviews: 28
3. Re: Webjet airfares that are lower than the airlines

Fares go up and down all the time from when they first go on sale (ok, mainly up). Webjet just bought them when they were available at the lowest price. The OP could most likely have done the same if they had been in the market at the right time.

Webjet are just providing a service of reselling those cheap fares at the time that people want to buy. Course there are lots of other downsides to buying from third parties, but that's the business model.

4. Re: Webjet airfares that are lower than the airlines

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, December 05, 2014