We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sydney Airport transfer

Wellington, New...
reviews: 11
Sydney Airport transfer

Hey guys,

I've booked a flight from Brisbane to Bangkok with Qantas.

I'm flying domestic to Sydney, and then connecting to my international flight to Bangkok.

My flight from Brisbane arrives in Sydney at 9:20am and then i have to transfer to international for my next flight, which at 10:30am.

Its a bit late now, but a friend of mine thinks that this is not enough time to make the transfer. I'm just looking for piece of mind! Has anyone else had a similar transfer time, and is it plausible?

Thanks everyone!

Maggie.

9 replies to this topic
Adelaide, Australia
reviews: 32
1. Re: Sydney Airport transfer

You could be pushing it if your domestic flight I slate. We have waited up to half an hour for the connecting bus domestic to international.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
reviews: 30
2. Re: Sydney Airport transfer

Hi Maggie,

Is the domestic and international on one ticket? If so, Qantas has a minimum connection time of 60 minutes. You can use their Seamless Transfer Service, and you're protected of you miss your connection.

qantas.com.au/travel/…en

sydneyairport.com.au/find/…

Edit - but yes nozzie is right, it's tight. If you can change your connecting flight, it would be better.

Edited: 12:15 am, December 01, 2013
Coffs Harbour...
reviews: 137
3. Re: Sydney Airport transfer

If QF flights on 1 ticket, then you should be OK.

HOWEVER, if you booked a flight from Sydney-Bangkok and have a seperate Brisbane to Sydney ticket then you will not make it. No chance, game over.

1hr and 10 mins (if flight is on time) to collect luggage at domestic terminal, wait for bus, 10 minute drive (if you arelucky) then get to next check in counter before the checkin cutoff - not possible, and you will lose your ticket.

As such, unless you have 1 ticket only, then I suggest the cheapest option is to buy a new brisbane-Syd ticket to get in earlierr.

Good luck, and hope it all works out

Wellington, New...
4. Re: Sydney Airport transfer

Thanks guys, just a quick question: if I bought my tickets direct from the qantas website, does that mean I have one ticket? I shall look into this further, my flight is end of Jan, so I've still got loads of time to get this sorted!

Thanks for your advice! :)

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
reviews: 28
5. Re: Sydney Airport transfer

When you bought the tickets did you choose and pay for one flight? That would be Brisbane - Bangkok -Brisbane .... Or did you buy Brisbane - Sydney - Brisbane ... and separately ... Sydney - Bangkok - Sydney?

Only you know the answer to this. It should be clear by your E ticket/s.

If you have one ticket from Brisbane to Bangkok return then you are OK to go.

Wellington, New...
6. Re: Sydney Airport transfer

Oh I see, I booked Brisbane-Bangkok, Bangkok - Brisbane on the Qantas website, so I guess I don't need to worry then! I'll give them a call tomorrow just to double check, and then post the answer here (in case anyone else has the same silly question!).

Thanks for your input everyone,as always, it is much appreciated!

Wellington, New...
7. Re: Sydney Airport transfer

Update for anyone else with a similar question:

I called qantas, and they told me that the minimum transfer time is one hour, so with one hour and ten minutes I will be fine. I have to head down to gate 15 when I get to Sydney and take the transfer bus to international, which (theoretically) should take about 10 minutes.

The lovely woman on the phone told me to be in at Brisbane at least an hour before my flight (rather than the standard 30mins) so they can get all my boarding passes sorted and check my bags through. She also said that it is their responsibility to get me to Bangkok, so if worse comes to worse and I miss my flight, they'll put me on the next one. :)

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 85
8. Re: Sydney Airport transfer

Thanks for the very succinct follow up post Magpienz

Great to see you took the time to do so, and great to see the staff are doing their best to keep you well informed

Have a great trip

Paris, France
reviews: 157
9. Re: Sydney Airport transfer

Thank you for the update Magpienz.

Reply to: Sydney Airport transfer
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted