We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New goatee, but my passport photo is different.

Didcot, United...
8 posts
New goatee, but my passport photo is different.

Hi

Ok apart from all the jokes about having a goatee for 'Movember', just wondered what passport control in the UK and US will say as my current passport is clean shaven. If my photo is clean shaven do I have to be clean shaven or is a goatee going to be ok?

Thanks

Ian

London, United...
Level Contributor
23,031 posts
28 reviews
1. Re: New goatee, but my passport photo is different.

What kind of goatee have you grown where you are no longer recognisable v your passport photo,,,? Did you mean to write,,," full on yeti beard" instead ? :-))

UK
Level Contributor
49,574 posts
93 reviews
2. Re: New goatee, but my passport photo is different.

Goodness do you think people look the same 10 years later? Short hair, long hair, no hair, glasses no glasses, beard no beard, hair different colour, etc.

Edited: 2:21 am, November 26, 2013
Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
14,475 posts
59 reviews
3. Re: New goatee, but my passport photo is different.

Yes, I had that problem too - but I've found a really good laser hair removal clinic. ;-)

My goodness, my passport shows me as a short, straight haired blonde. Since then it's bee long, shoulder length, permed, red, streaked, black, pink and even once (jeans for genes) shaved off completely.

London, United...
Level Contributor
23,031 posts
28 reviews
4. Re: New goatee, but my passport photo is different.

Wow, really, you shaved your head for charity and have also died it pink...kudos,,,mines always the same colour, lol.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
20,066 posts
598 reviews
5. Re: New goatee, but my passport photo is different.

my passport shows me clean shaven though I not sport a goatee which I am now growing to a full beard. I really don't think it is a major problem, start worrying when you actually look like your passport photo.

Edited: 2:39 am, November 26, 2013
Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
14,475 posts
59 reviews
6. Re: New goatee, but my passport photo is different.

I shaved it for charity.

The pink was a moment of madness when I thought it actually looked good. Pink phase lasted about 10 days (till I could get another appointment at the hairdresser).

unclegus, I thought if you look like your passport photo then you're too ill to travel.

London, United...
Level Contributor
23,031 posts
28 reviews
7. Re: New goatee, but my passport photo is different.

Very adventurous Eva,,I spend a sodden fortune and long time at the hairdressers keeping mine the exact same shade of chocolate brown,,,:-))

Cornwall
Level Contributor
480 posts
8 reviews
8. Re: New goatee, but my passport photo is different.

Well... my son was 8 weeks old when he had his passport photo taken and it lasts til he is 5.... So I should think you will be fine :)

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
10,907 posts
9. Re: New goatee, but my passport photo is different.

One 'technique' I've seen used by an immigration officer who picked up on hair length being different on the person/on the photo was to get the traveller to sign their name. It matched the signature in the passport. Bingo!

The facial recognition techniques used these days by computers are pretty sophisticated - it takes a bit more than colouration to fox them.

Travelling The World
Level Contributor
12,921 posts
42 reviews
10. Re: New goatee, but my passport photo is different.

Worse comes to worst, they'll pull you aside and make you shave it off.