We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is my carry-on too heavy?

Chicago, Illinois
Is my carry-on too heavy?

Hello.

I am flying with Delta in a couple of days. My carry-on size is under Delta's stated maximum dimensions but it weighs 16.5 lbs. Is this too heavy?

I found weight limit for checked luggage on Delta's site, which is 50lbs, but nothing about carry-on.

I would appreciate any help with this. Thank you.

12 replies to this topic
Winnipeg Canada
Destination Expert
for Winnipeg
reviews: 249
1. Re: Is my carry-on too heavy?

I have never found a weigh limit for carry on bag with Delta. With other airlines it is 20 lbs.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
2. Re: Is my carry-on too heavy?

Delta doesn't mention any carry on weight limit on its website. Neither does United, but on their (UA) boarding passes they mention a carry on weight limit of 18kg (40lbs). 16.5lbs is 7.5kg and I would expect that to fine absolutely fine with Delta. As long as it is Delta metal you're flying and not a code share with someone like Virgin Atlantic (whose limit is 7kg so you'd be a pound over).

San Jose
Destination Expert
for California
reviews: 74
3. Re: Is my carry-on too heavy?

Your luggage is fine. I've never had my carry-on luggage weighed by a US carrier anyway. I think that if an airline has a weight rule is there just so that the airline CAN use it to require someone to check luggage that is clearly too heavy, even if it is within the size guidelines.

Chicago, Illinois
4. Re: Is my carry-on too heavy?

Thank you for your answers. I hope I won't have problems.

Phoenix, AZ
reviews: 180
5. Re: Is my carry-on too heavy?

In addition to the comments above, do you feel comfortable lifting it over your head, to place into the bin?

I very often see luggage, that is so heavy, that the pax and a couple of FA's cannot lift it. Normally, if I see this happening, I offer my assistance. OTOH, my wife had one piece, that was a bit heavy - not sure of the weight, and no one, FA, or passenger, would help her load it. As she is quite short, she had to finally stand on the seat, to place it overhead. That might teach her to not travel without me... [Grin]

Chicago, Illinois
6. Re: Is my carry-on too heavy?

Thank you for the response.

I can lift it fine but I was wondering if I could perhaps avoid the trouble and just put it under the seat if it is somehow too big for the bin. The dimensions of my carry-on are 19 x 13.5 x 7.

I guess there is only one way to find out.

Melbourne
reviews: 1
7. Re: Is my carry-on too heavy?

This is from Delta's page on baggage (delta.com/content/…carry-on.html)

>>>>>

Carry-on Size Restrictions

It won’t fit. Three words you don’t want to hear when trying to board. To avoid delays and possible checked bag fees, follow these size requirements:

•Baggage may not exceed 45 linear inches (or 114 cm) in combined length, width and height, including any handles and wheels

•Baggage must fit easily in the Carry-on Baggage Check (approximately 22" x 14" x 9" or 56 x 35 x 23 cm), which is located near the check-in counters

<<<<<

So, if your bag is 19 x 13.5 x 7 then it should be fine - does that include all handles and wheels and other 'protuberances'?

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
reviews: 71
8. Re: Is my carry-on too heavy?

On the Delta flights I have been on lately that would not have fit underseat but you can certainly try. I packed too heavy on my last flight (20#) and regretted it by the end of the trip altho I could still lift it up in to the bin with no assistance.

Pam

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
reviews: 54
9. Re: Is my carry-on too heavy?

You will be fine relax and enjoy your flight.

Chicago, Illinois
10. Re: Is my carry-on too heavy?

Thank you everyone. I should indeed try to relax a little bit.

Reply to: Is my carry-on too heavy?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted