We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Duty Free or Not.

East Grinstead...
Duty Free or Not.

Not having flown for a number of years I find the new rules a bit odd.

If I buy wine outside the airport I have to pack it in my case to go on the plane.

If I buy the same in the airport Duty Free I can carry it on the plane..

Ether way it gets on the plane so why has the 'Landside' purchase have to be put in luggage ?

7 replies to this topic
Newport...
reviews: 25
1. Re: Duty Free or Not.

proberly because you are not allowed to take liquids in your hand luggage through customs

Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
reviews: 34
2. Re: Duty Free or Not.

Because you're not allowed to carry liquids over 100ml in your hand luggage through security.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 53
3. Re: Duty Free or Not.

proberly because you are not allowed to take liquids in your hand luggage through customs

Completely false.

UK
reviews: 84
4. Re: Duty Free or Not.

Either way it gets on the plane so why has the 'Landside' purchase have to be put in luggage ?

======

Because how do they know its wine in the bottle if you brought it in from outside?

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 75
5. Re: Duty Free or Not.

Because if it is from outside, it might not be wine. They are concerned about bombers taking chemical explosives onto a plane disguised as bottles of something else. If it is in your hold luggage, you don't have access to it during flight so could not ignite it. If it's in your hand luggage, you could. So they limit they quantity of liquids you can bring through a checkpoint in your hand luggage presumably so you can't bring enough in to blow up a plane. Whether that's a useful security precaution or not is a matter for debate, but that's why they do it.

Edited: 1:23 pm, November 25, 2013
norfolk
reviews: 30
6. Re: Duty Free or Not.

remember also - purchases from airside are often only good to go on one flight. if you are on a connecting-flights trip, you should buy your duty free at your last connecting airport.

seattle
reviews: 1
7. Re: Duty Free or Not.

Don't know where you are going but 'duty-free' for wine rarely offers you any significant discounts.

Reply to: Duty Free or Not.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions