We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Singapore Airlines: A380 seat power & plug type?

Uckfield, United...
reviews: 6
Singapore Airlines: A380 seat power & plug type?

I suspect I'm worrying about nothing, but I'm a little confused over what power plugs Singapore Airlines allows in economy on the ***A380*** (not bothered about their other planes).

From the various postings and pictures on the internet it looks like US/EU/AU. On their website though, they say:

1. A380, A340-500, A330-300, BOEING 777-300ER AIRCRAFT: 110V AC in-seat power supply available in all classes. **A universal adaptor is required** except on the A340-500 and A330-300.

2. SELECTED BOEING 777 AIRCRAFT: 110V AC in-seat power supply available in First and Business Class. A universal adaptor is required for plugs that are not compatible with the system. System supports Australian, Japanese and US 2/3-pin, and European 2-pin plugs.

That's confusing me because it's telling me I need a universal adapter for the A380, but the 777 110v specifically mentions Australian plugs. I'm off to Oz (Sydney) for a while, so I'd bought an Australian lead for my laptop powerpack. Can anyone confirm that this will work on the A380, or would I be somehow better off with my UK lead and a universal adapter?

Incidentally, I called UK reservations and they were uncharacteristically unhelpful. The chap said that they couldn't advise which plugs were accepted, hence the suggestion to take a universal adapter.

London, United...
reviews: 1
1. Re: Singapore Airlines: A380 seat power & plug type?

I took heahrow to Sydney flight on Singapore Airlines A380 and the plug was a USB port

Uckfield, United...
2. Re: Singapore Airlines: A380 seat power & plug type?

Thanks Elvis. That's the same flight I'll be on. Are you sure we're talking about the same thing though? There's a USB port on the seatback in front of you next to your TV which probably puts out ~0.5A (~2.5W) - this question isn't about that. I'm talking about the 110v (~75w) power point on the arm rest, just below the headphone jack.

I don't see how that could be a USB point, as I don't think universal adapters are designed to be plugged into USB points. Might be wrong though.

Edited: 4:11 pm, November 25, 2013
Uckfield, United...
3. Re: Singapore Airlines: A380 seat power & plug type?

Asked Singapore Airlines this question:

The Connectivity page says that a universal adapter is required on the A380. Clearly it's possible to use some plugs on an A380 without a universal adapter. Could you please confirm which plug formats will work in the A380 power socket without an adapter?

-----------------------

Comprehensive reply from them (thanks Namrata!):

With regards to your query, please be advised that we do have a 110 V AC in-seat power supply system in Economy class on the Airbus A380, A340-500, A330-300 and Boeing 777-300ER aircraft, which you may use while working on your laptop on-board. Please be advised that charging of batteries/laptops using this power supply is strictly prohibited.

The power supply is shared between the seats in Economy Class. For example the configuration for Airbus 380 Main Deck is 3-4-3 so, the power supply will be 2 between 3 seater rows and 3 between the 4 seater rows. Similarly on the Upper Deck its 2-4-2 and the supply will be 1 between the 2 seats. The concept will be the same for the other aircraft types mentioned.

We do not provide adaptors on-board and so, you would need to bring your own. The 110 V AC system supports Australian 2/3-pin, European 2-pin, Japanese 2/3-pin, and US 2/3-pin plugs. However, it would be advisable to bring along a universal adaptor, in case your laptop plug is not compatible with the system.

You may work on the laptop using the power supply on-board.

However, you would be unable to leave the laptop plugged into the power supply in 'Stand-by' mode (i.e., you are not actually using the laptop), with the batteries charging.

Edited: 12:48 pm, November 26, 2013
London, United...
4. Re: Singapore Airlines: A380 seat power & plug type?

Yes the point below the head phone jack on the arm rest was a USB port

Uckfield, United...
5. Re: Singapore Airlines: A380 seat power & plug type?

Really odd. From your post in another thread, it looks like you were in an emergency exit seat. I've seen that they're different to others, but the other way to what you experienced. Per the thread below, someone says their (upper deck) emergence exit seat had AC power, but no USB.

flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisf…

Uckfield, United...
6. Re: Singapore Airlines: A380 seat power & plug type?

Problem solved! You did have in-seat power, you were just looking in the wrong place. Emergency exit and bulkhead seats have their power sockets located under the seat:

www.flyertalk.com/forum/10292739-post12.html

7. Re: Singapore Airlines: A380 seat power & plug type?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, December 01, 2014