We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bidding for first/biz seats getting more common? in US?

Palmetto, Florida
reviews: 10
Bidding for first/biz seats getting more common? in US?

Apparently more US airlines are doing this (American). Anyone has experience with it? Where do I find it on web site?

fool.com/investing/general/2013/11/21/first-…

7 replies to this topic
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 59
1. Re: Bidding for first/biz seats getting more common? in US?

The article says that American is doing it "in selective markets" so you would probably see it as an option when you book a ticket IF it is a flight in the "selective market" described above.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
reviews: 182
2. Re: Bidding for first/biz seats getting more common? in US?

Interesting....I think Delta did a test in the past couple years where passengers could "bid" on value of VDB for overbooked seats - how much they would accept as compensation. I'm not too sure it worked.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
reviews: 74
3. Re: Bidding for first/biz seats getting more common? in US?

Off topic I guess but Delta is still doing the bidding for VDB. I had that as an option last week on a flight from Cleveland. The amounts were like $50, $100, $150, name your own. I put in something about $50 over the highest increment, and was immediately rejected, indicating they had enough volunteers who had bid lower.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
reviews: 182
4. Re: Bidding for first/biz seats getting more common? in US?

JAtlanta: Thanks for that update.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
reviews: 71
5. Re: Bidding for first/biz seats getting more common? in US?

Hi,

My gut tells me we will see more of this kind of process..

I think carriers now realize that in *some* markets, a VDB is a desired thing -- so they've kind of monetized it... Makes sense..

After all, from a purely monetary* basis, the carrier can only "win" in so much as the VBD bids can really only go up to the DOT requires for a IDB case .. In most cases they'll be less than IDB and avoid a DOT report against their monthly data.

(Note: this does not address the fact that IDBs are reportable to the DOT whereas VDBs are not. And this is a tracked and reported metric by the DOT)

So, IF the bidding turned rich and pushed up the VBD price to a point where it was at, or exceeded the IDB levels, the carrier would just refuse higher VDB bids and IDB someone, and payout at the maximum required levels.

Travel Safe,

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 127
6. Re: Bidding for first/biz seats getting more common? in US?

I think it was Etihad that sent us an email and asked if we would like to place a bid for business class but there was a minimum that you could bid, we didn't bother but I know other people have posted about it on here in the past so if Etihad are doing it I expect the other middle east carriers will soon follow suit.

London
reviews: 73
7. Re: Bidding for first/biz seats getting more common? in US?

Virgin do it.

You can place a bid, and it even gives a % probability that the bid will be successful.

Goes up to 100% if you bid the value of a UC ticket ;)

Reply to: Bidding for first/biz seats getting more common? in US?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted