We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Connecting Flights

France
reviews: 19
Connecting Flights

I'm booking a long-haul flight. Looking at several Internet sites, flights would often be in two legs. Some of these flights contain legs flown by separate airlines.

What rights do I have if the first flight is delayed by such a degree that the second flight is missed?

London, United...
reviews: 23
1. Re: Connecting Flights

If flights are booked as one ticket the airline is responsible to put you on the next flight with available seats ( not necessarily the next flight) and to pay for any duty of care required ie hotel, meals etc.

If booked as two separate tickets, then if you miss a leg due to flight delayed or too tight connection etc. the responsibility is all yours, you have to pay for another ticket and any duty of care and you are totally on your own.

One ticket with an agency is not always one ticket with an airline. I would strongly recommend booking directly with airlines, and not via a third party, who will often cobble together different tickets leaving you responsible, but giving the cheapest price, and also be unable to help you if one airline has a schedule change ( happens often) which means you miss a subsequent leg, or if any delay etc means you miss a leg.

If you do use a third party research them very well on line, many, many cowboys out there offering deals that don't exist, and read the terms and conditions carefully. Again many of them will only confirm the price after you have supplied card details and it ends up much more costly than buying from the airline direct, as quite simply the contract is between you and the airline,,,all that happens is they go and book it for you, as you could, but then add their fee and confirm final price.

As said, I would strongly advice going via the airlines direct.

UK
reviews: 26
2. Re: Connecting Flights

"Duty of care" (i.e. entitlement to meals and hotels in case of flight delays/missed connections) is not universal. Different countries have different laws. Duty of care, as defined under Regulation EU261/2004, applies when flying on EU airlines, and when departing from the EU on non-EU carriers.

UK
reviews: 89
3. Re: Connecting Flights

Crechat, there is no way to know without understanding the exact ticket you ahve bought.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 74
4. Re: Connecting Flights

"If flights are booked as one ticket the airline is responsible to put you on the next flight with available seats ( not necessarily the next flight) and to pay for any duty of care required ie hotel, meals etc."

As the previous poster said, not everywhere. I have missed connections in the USA and been stuck overnight. Airline put me on the next flight and arranged a hotel so I had somewhere to go for the night when I got off the first flight, but I had to pay for the hotel and meals.

5. Re: Connecting Flights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, November 23, 2014