We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

United now enforcing carry on rules

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
United now enforcing carry on rules

I’ve been watching the rumors about this on FlyerTalk for about a month, and now United has posted this ….

https:/…united-carry-on-bags.aspx

United is now enforcing its carry on bag rules. New sizers are installed at the gates for both the carry on bag and personal item. Every bag has to fit the sizer, or it’s checked into the hold with the appropriate checked bag fee being charged.

The maximum dimensions for the carry on and personal item are –

- Carry On – 22” x 14”x 9” (56 x 35 x 23 cm)

- Personal Item - 17" x 10” x 9” (43 x 25 x 23 cm)

There have been reports, observations and discussions on FlyerTalk (see below), and it’s pretty clear that it’s being enforced, including for First and Business class passengers and elite frequent fliers, so nobody gets a pass.

flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileageplus-conso…

flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileageplus-conso…

I’d be expecting a few complaints and rants to start showing up around the web in the coming weeks and months. There may be some airports that haven’t yet taken delivery of the sizers and so some people may get away with it for a few more weeks (or until they try boarding their connecting flight).

But be aware, it looks like no more kitchen sinks on United.

73 replies to this topic
London, United...
reviews: 23
1. Re: United now enforcing carry on rules

Good, about time too....

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 14
2. Re: United now enforcing carry on rules

Fully in favour of this move and hope it encourages other US airlines to follow suit although I can imagine lots of negative posts and rants in coming weeks/months from those who got away with it in the past.

I've never understood the lack of enforcement as it can lead to increased revenue from checked bag fees although I accept that customers will not be happy.

Australia
reviews: 28
3. Re: United now enforcing carry on rules

United, I will fly with you for evermore that I can pay for a ticket!!!!!!!!

Romford, United...
reviews: 23
4. Re: United now enforcing carry on rules

Sure as eggs are eggs they will all be in place prior to the holidays, that's when the deluge of rants will start blaming UA and Santa in equal measures!!!

Travelling The World
reviews: 17
5. Re: United now enforcing carry on rules

I am boarding a UA flight shortly and I think this is outrageous. How dare they enforce their published rules?

Bathgate United...
reviews: 7
6. Re: United now enforcing carry on rules

Hi

about time on recent trip from Las Vegas to New York I was astounded by the amount and size of carry on luggage some passengers were trying to take on the plane. This led to inevitable delays and congestion in boarding. About time these regulations were enforced for the comfort and convenience of all passengers.

KJ

Edited: 4:21 am, November 21, 2013
Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
7. Re: United now enforcing carry on rules

What swine - expecting God Fearing Americans to stick to the terms of their contract

Norddeutschland
reviews: 638
8. Re: United now enforcing carry on rules

That´s agood move it will even reduce the hassle in Europe when the people from the US carriers have to comply with european carry on rules. Can be a zoo at the gate.

Atlanta, Georgia
reviews: 12
9. Re: United now enforcing carry on rules

Personal Item - 17" x 10” x 9” (43 x 25 x 23 cm)

That seems a little small (specifically the 10" dimension seems small). I often fly with just a backpack that's a little larger than that (17" x 13" x 8") that fits easily under the seat in coach - probably could squish it down to those dimensions if I had to. I mostly fly Delta so it's not an issue for me at this time - just wondering when other carriers will follow suit.

Although I did notice on a recent Delta flight out of Orlando that the luggage size checker rack seemed a little more prominently displayed at the gate than I remember from previous flights. Maybe they are trying to send subliminal messages?

-JimG

Dublin, Ireland
reviews: 95
10. Re: United now enforcing carry on rules

but surely it doesn't apply to EVERYONE?

Reply to: United now enforcing carry on rules
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted