We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

seat 40C on cathay pacific

New York
reviews: 1
seat 40C on cathay pacific

Cathay Pacific seat 40c looks like it does not have a seat in front of it on seat guru(77ER). Is this correct? Should I purchase an exit row seat? Flying JFK to hkg.

17 replies to this topic
Coffs Harbour...
reviews: 150
1. Re: seat 40C on cathay pacific

That is correct. in fact it can be one of the most sought after seats on the plane, so book it quick if you can get it

London, United...
2. Re: seat 40C on cathay pacific

Hi Carriesue,

Did you travel on seat 40C in the end? Did it have extra legroom? Where does the tray and TV screen go?

Would you recommend it?

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
reviews: 76
3. Re: seat 40C on cathay pacific

40C should have the extra legroom. The tray and TV will both be built into the armrest so the seat might be slightly narrower.

Hong Kong, China
reviews: 23
4. Re: seat 40C on cathay pacific

when I flew Cathay frm HK to Australia - you couldn't book a seat until you checked in - just an FYI

London, United...
5. Re: seat 40C on cathay pacific

I am asking because on the Cathay website it shows that on Row 39 there is a seat A and C but no B. But on Seatguru.com it shows that on Row 39 there is seat A and B but no C!

Not sure which is correct.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
6. Re: seat 40C on cathay pacific

Whether you can book seats in advance on CX depends on your fare basis, or whether you have status with CX or Oneworld.

Row 39 has AC and HK seats. C is in the normal B seat location while H is in the normal J seat location. They do this so C and H are always the window seats regardless of how many seats are in that row.

London, United...
7. Re: seat 40C on cathay pacific

I seem to have the option of being able to choose a seat online.

Would you recommend seat 40C as it has more legroom even though it might be a bit narrower due to the tray table being in the armrest? Also, do people bump in to your legs?

Lastly, I assume it still has its own screen even though there is no seat back in front of it?

Thanks!

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
8. Re: seat 40C on cathay pacific

Nobody can make the decision for you. Briefly:

Seat width: only you know how comfortable you will be in a slightly narrower seat

People bumping into your legs: Chances of this happening are 100%. Even if you just sit in a regular aisle seat, you normally get plenty of shoulder bumps. The good thing is it appears the galley and toilets are behind you so it should not be a high traffic area where people congregate to stretch.

The screen should also be built into your armrest. You will have your own screen.

Brooklyn, NY
reviews: 1
9. Re: seat 40C on cathay pacific

I have flown those seats before.

-Yes..more legroom.

-Yes...a little more of a pain with the TV being in the armrest(though I have seen some Cathay flights where the TV for this row is on the wall in front of you.)

-If you get a window seat in this row..it is colder.

-People bumping into you...I didn't experience it as there is nothing in front of you. if anyone in your row gets up to use the restroom..there is always a chance.

Up to you...

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
10. Re: seat 40C on cathay pacific

The two statements below (from #9) don't apply to row 40. Row 40 is the second row in the cabin. Since there is no seat in front of you, your TV will be in stowed in the armrest, not the wall in front of you.

Also as 40C is the second row with no seat immediately in front of it, the extra space typically allows people to congregate or the flight attendants to place meal/beverage carts there temporarily so non-standard aisle bumps are quite possible. Also, row 39 is a bassinet location so there could be some additional disturbance should it be used.

>>>-Yes...a little more of a pain with the TV being in the armrest(though I have seen some Cathay flights where the TV for this row is on the wall in front of you.)

>>>-People bumping into you...I didn't experience it as there is nothing in front of you. if anyone in your row gets up to use the restroom..there is always a chance.

Reply to: seat 40C on cathay pacific
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted