We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has anyone flown with American Airlines?

Los Angeles...
Has anyone flown with American Airlines?

My boyfriend and I are flying with American Airlines coach to London in March. I've heard a lot of bad things about them, which I wish I knew before booking with them. Do you know what flying with American Airlines is like? I don't even think they have personal TVs behind headrests...

34 replies to this topic
Essex
reviews: 71
1. Re: Has anyone flown with American Airlines?

Ask on the TA Air Travel Forum.

In days prior to films on board, we just used to take a book.....

Edited: 3:34 pm, November 19, 2013
Oxfordshire
2. Re: Has anyone flown with American Airlines?

I have.

I can't even begin to imagine why anyone cares that "I don't even think they have personal TVs behind headrests."

As Essex Wanderer says: take a book or a kindle. Better yet: turn your light off, stop interfering with other people's attempts to get some sleep and fortify yourself for an eight-hour time change and an overnight flight.

In economy, there's no meaningful difference between volume carriers. A ten hour overnight flight in an overcrowded cigar tube is going to be ghastly whoever you're flying with (though UK- and NZ- registered airlines are typically more liberal with the booze than the puritanical Americans, so you're less likely to notice) .

Just grin and bear it - and dump the silly preoccupation with brands you've managed to pick up. Or fork out the £5k for a Business flight

East Anglia
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
reviews: 38
3. Re: Has anyone flown with American Airlines?

Hi,

For some reason my response done via iphone has not appeared!

We flew about 4 years ago with AA London to Chicago, SF to Chicago and then Chicago back to London.

Cannot remember where screens were but used the opportunity to sleep to try and avoid jetlag.

There were no problems with booking, flight or cabin staff.

The experience was as good as any economy class flight across the Atlantic can be.

Bob

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 105
4. Re: Has anyone flown with American Airlines?

You can check out reviews for the same route on the www.airlinequality.com website people usually review food entertainment etc. so you can get a lot of info.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 57
5. Re: Has anyone flown with American Airlines?

Thousands of people fly on American Airlines every day!

You can find out exactly what entertainment options are offered on your flight by looking on your reservation to see what type of plane is being used. Then go to :

seatguru.com/airlines/…information.php

and find the plane to see what sort of entertainment it offers.

Some planes will have the individual entertainment options and some won't.

MOST folks try to sleep as much as possible on the way TO Europe . It is on the way back that you'd be more likely to want entertainment.

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 30
6. Re: Has anyone flown with American Airlines?

To answer your question has anyone flown with American--yes-over 100 million last year.

Madrid
reviews: 6
7. Re: Has anyone flown with American Airlines?

Sitting in the flagship lounge right now in LAX.AA are perfectly fine to fly with.

Lake Crystal...
reviews: 13
8. Re: Has anyone flown with American Airlines?

OP ==> " I've heard a lot of bad things about them, which I wish I knew before booking with them."

Care to name a few airlines that do not have a bunch of bad things being said about them?

AA has treated me very well, short and long flights. Once we got free upgrades to First Class.

Dallas
reviews: 12
9. Re: Has anyone flown with American Airlines?

I have over 4 million miles flying on American Airlines. Never once did the plane crash !!

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
reviews: 76
10. Re: Has anyone flown with American Airlines?

Whether there is personal seatback TV depends on the type of plane being used. You can make a dummy booking or look up schedules on AA to see what plane they are flying, then either check with AA or go to Seatguru for more information.

To sum up things, AA is just as good or bad as any other major US carrier. Consider British Airways as well (though they really aren't any better in economy in my opinion, but their fleet has seatback TV's!).

Reply to: Has anyone flown with American Airlines?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted