We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

formula milk through security

Leamington Spa...
reviews: 1
formula milk through security

Hi I'm travelling next month to lanzarote, I'm unsure what to do about talking powder milk and cooled boiled water through security at both ends. Can anyone help please?

Ebbw Vale, United...
Destination Expert
for Santa Eulalia del Rio, Ibiza
reviews: 89
1. Re: formula milk through security

If you premix it you will probably be asked to taste it. Don't know if they will allow water and if they do you will probably have to taste it and be limited to the 100ml rule.

west midlands
2. Re: formula milk through security

When we took our grandson to Jamaica , we travelled with 8 full bottles of pre-made baby formula and there wasn't any problems , but we were requested to drink a small amount from each bottle in front of security staff at the airport. Unfortunately I was the one with the bottles in my hand luggage and it was myself that had to taste yuk . Mop

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
3. Re: formula milk through security

You haven't mentioned which airport you're flying from. However the UK security guidelines allow you to take pre-mixed baby formula (enough for the flight) as long as you taste it in front of the security agent, as mentioned above.

Here are Gatwick's guidelines, which also mentions that you can pre-order baby formula from Boots and collect it air side. That's also also available at Heathrow and so maybe at other airports too.

gatwickairport.com/at-the-airport/…

Edited: 1:45 pm, November 19, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
4. Re: formula milk through security

It's unfortunate that the UK hasn't caught up to the US yet and still requires you to ruin formula and breastmilk in order to bring it through security. My understanding is as above, if you pre-mix it you'll have to taste it, and if you don't you won't be allowed to bring the water through.

Good luck.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
reviews: 44
5. Re: formula milk through security

We simply took the bottles with the formula unmade, and the FA's were more than happy to provide us with a bottle of water, so we could mix it ourselves, then they heated it for us.

Columbus, Ohio
reviews: 15
6. Re: formula milk through security

I flew with my 1 y/o son to Turks and Caicos a couple of weeks ago from the US. In the US, they test any open bottles with a strip, they will not make you "taste" it anymore. That is completely absurd and I can't believe it was even a "thing". What if mama was lactose intolerant? Silly. If you bring unopened ready to feed bottles, they won't make you open them. If you're really worried, I would just bring the powder and purchase bottled water after you get through security.

Edited: 2:26 pm, November 19, 2013
Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
reviews: 42
7. Re: formula milk through security

<<If you bring unopened ready to feed bottles, they won't make you open them. >>

If they're over 100ml I think you'll find they most likely will.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
8. Re: formula milk through security

I think Megalinn was saying that *IN THE US,* they don't make you taste the liquid any more.

Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
reviews: 42
9. Re: formula milk through security

If so, it's totally irrelevant to the OPs question.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
10. Re: formula milk through security

I agree. :)