We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Delta Skymiles for each family member?

London, Canada
reviews: 4
Delta Skymiles for each family member?

I have flights booked for 2 adults and 2 kids.

I signed up for Delta skymiles and added my flight, do I need to sign up for a skymiles account for each of us? Or can I add my wife and kids flights to my account?

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 75
1. Re: Delta Skymiles for each family member?

Everyone needs their own account.

Edited: 8:54 am, November 19, 2013
Nashville, TN
reviews: 8
2. Re: Delta Skymiles for each family member?

Miles go to the person flying, not the person buying the tickets. As noted previously, each passenger will need their own account.

Check the mileage accrual options available. Miles do expire, but there are a lot of ways to acquire miles without actually flying. This is always a good way to insure the account stays active and you don't lose miles already accrued.

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
reviews: 35
3. Re: Delta Skymiles for each family member?

Actually Delta miles do not expire anymore. They eliminated that a couple years ago.

Nashville, TN
reviews: 8
4. Re: Delta Skymiles for each family member?

?Actually Delta miles do not expire anymore. They eliminated that a couple years ago."

Wasn't aware of that as I don't belong to their program. Will remember that in the future.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 75
5. Re: Delta Skymiles for each family member?

Sometimes you can transfer the miles between accounts so your son, for example, could earn them and then give them to you, but usually there's a charge to do that. But I'm an American member and don't fly Delta much, so you'd have to check Delta's terms and conditions to verify that.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
6. Re: Delta Skymiles for each family member?

My toddler has his own Delta account: he may make Medallion next year. :) Yes, everyone needs their own account.

Fortaleza, CE
reviews: 360
7. Re: Delta Skymiles for each family member?

I believe it usually costs money to transfer money between accounts. Delta not unique in this regard. As noted, miles to go to the person flying (and each person can have miles to go different accounts, for example, one person can have them to go a partner airline account). Only time I'm have miles not go to a traveler is when I just used a UA Chase credit card to purchase two UA tickets (for me, and my wife) and I got all of the miles for the purchase. But the miles for flying to go each of us separately.

My beef with the Delta ff program is the high number of miles to get award flights as compared to other programs.

kentucky
reviews: 37
8. Re: Delta Skymiles for each family member?

If you get the current promo for Amex Gold Skymiles card, buy tkts for all 4 fam members w/card and get one checked bag per/pax. Bonus signup is 50K right now. Fee free first year. Hope it's valid for Canadians. Agree, each pax need their own acct, but cardholder gets the "purchase" miles for ticket price.

We buy tickets for another person w/miles instead of transferring them. Makes more sense. Hope all that helps.

London, Canada
reviews: 4
9. Re: Delta Skymiles for each family member?

Thanks I sign the family up. Not interested in paying for a credit card though.

kentucky
reviews: 37
10. Re: Delta Skymiles for each family member?

no charge for the card first year--cancel at the end. Where are you flying? If you have to pay for bags, the card saves you plenty for 4 pax. You can still get the 50K bonus miles--enough for 1 tkt in the right circumstances.