We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

limited business class seats for frequent flyers on Delta

seattle
reviews: 51
limited business class seats for frequent flyers on Delta

I stayed up till midnight to book mileage tickets exactly 330 days ahead so I could get biz class seats for my husband and I. Route is SEA-AMS; dates are 3June14-2July14. Delta offered a sweet nonstop but after booking my husband's seat I tried to go back and book mine and nothing but coach was available. I called the Partner Desk through Alaska Air (my mileage program) and was told that only ONE business class seat per flight through Delta was available, no matter which flight or which route. However I could get both seats in biz on the way back. So far 7 months out no seats have opened up to move me to business on the outbound flight. The Partner Desk said Delta sometimes opens them up later.

Question--does anyone know if and when Delta tends to open up more biz class mileage seats? And doesn't just one a flight outbound seem weird?

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 84
1. Re: limited business class seats for frequent flyers on Delta

No, it's not strange and it happens with every airline. Sometimes a business award seat is NEVER available, there's no guarantee one will be released at 330 days out. No one can tell you if or when you'll find that second seat.

Edited to add, I went to Alaska's webpage and did a dummy booking for two award seats for your dates. There is availability in business for the outbound and return, so I am not sure what the problem is.

Edited: 3:48 pm, November 17, 2013
Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for Saint Augustine
reviews: 23
2. Re: limited business class seats for frequent flyers on Delta

You may also want to pose this question on Flyertalk www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-skymiles-665/

I have been helped big time by the AA regulars.

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 84
3. Re: limited business class seats for frequent flyers on Delta

But OP has Alaska miles they want to use to book flights on DL, which isn't the same as using Sky Miles. The flights I found, by the way, were not on DL.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
4. Re: limited business class seats for frequent flyers on Delta

If the OP wants help on FlyerTalk she needs to use the Alaska Mileage Plan pages - flyertalk.com/forum/…

I also tried a dummy booking on the AS website and found availability for two people on the dates in question, though not the non-stops. Outbound is KLM via SFO (62,500 miles each), and inbound is Delta via DTW (45,000 miles each).

Edited: 4:31 pm, November 17, 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Negril
reviews: 86
5. Re: limited business class seats for frequent flyers on Delta

something is wrong, with availability showing you should be able to book two seats, when we fly to Europe I check the calendar several times a week for low award seats, we always find the flight we want either non stop or with short lay overs. Delta has increased their mileage awards which makes finding seats a little more difficult but the extra effort is worth it.

Worldwide
reviews: 620
6. Re: limited business class seats for frequent flyers on Delta

Airlines may release seats for award travel at any time. In the past we have grabbed what was available on the first day that bookings are possible, and revised those bookings later (as better options became available).

(Fortunately, for the airline alliance we use, we tend to find availability more easy to come by these days..)

7. Re: limited business class seats for frequent flyers on Delta

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, November 19, 2014