Hi there. I've been trying to find travel insurance which includes cover for missed flights due to delays with prior flights (as well as typical medical/theft etc) as this could potentially happen to us on our upcoming trip to the US and Mexico. I thought I would ask our usual travel insurance provider, Covermore (NZ) sold via Flight Centre what their cover would be in the event that the following happens:
- We are booked on one ticket AKL -LAX (no ref/no chg)
- We will book separate tickets LAX-NYC (AA) & CUN-LAX (Delta)
- The LAX-NYC flight leaves 4hrs after our scheduled arrival in LAX & the CUN-LAX arrives 4 Hrs prior to the LAX -AKL flight (ie we have a 4 hr "connection" but on separate tickets). These aren't the only options re flight times, but we will get the most out of our trip by using these connections.
- I realise that the airlines won't care if they cause us to miss the later flights.
- The Covermore insurance policy wording is as follows:
5. Missed connection: If during the Period Of Insurance You are on a Journey from or to New Zealand and You miss Your pre-booked connection due to unforeseeable circumstances outside Your control, where You have allowed the minimum connection time between flights as stipulated by, Your airline/s, We will pay the reasonable costs to use alternate public transport services to catch up on Your planned itinerary, or get to a special event suchas a wedding, sporting event or conference. If You claim under this section, You are not entitled to make a claim under any other section of this policy for the same incident.
We will not pay for:
Claims caused by:
1. Transport Provider caused cancellations, delays or rescheduling other than when caused by mechanical failure or strike.
I emailed the company querying if we would be covered if our flights are delayed due to weather, mechanical or another unforeseen incident (why else are flights delayed?), and got the following response:
"You will have provision to claim as long as it was unforseen and you have the minimum connecting time, and it is not one of the “we will not pay for” exclusions. If you miss your international connecting flight back to NZ, you will need to call the Emergency Assistance and we will be able to help you, as long as it is unforseen you will have provision to put in a claim."
So... What do you think? I think we will be covered if fat hits the fan and we miss our flight home - but I have read so often that the insurance companies don't pay out for this.
What detail am I missing? What situation would " Transport Provider caused cancellations, delays or rescheduling" include? At this point nothing is booked.