We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BA looses kid on chaperone service.

London, United...
reviews: 22
BA looses kid on chaperone service.

This is actually pretty appalling, to not know he had got off the plane himself, shows a significant break in the process and could be a worry for many parents. Thank goodness he did not have his passport and could not get out the airport.

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2508429/British…

186 replies to this topic
Dubai, United Arab...
reviews: 12
1. Re: BA looses kid on chaperone service.

I can understand delayed or lost luggage. But that is a bit heavy.

Agree, total breakdown of process' and procedures. My daughter will fly alone in around 3 weeks. Different airline, however, makes me think.

London, United...
2. Re: BA looses kid on chaperone service.

Yep, it's a worry, the fact that kid could get off the plane and no one spotted it is an issue. There should have been procedures in place to ensure he did not and the chaperone could see him at all times. I can only imagine how concerned the relative was to be getting those texts.

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 85
3. Re: BA looses kid on chaperone service.

Agree that the story as told really shows a lack in service by BA. But why did this 13 year old wander off? When my children have flown as UM, they were drilled in the rules and never wandered off on their own.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 37
4. Re: BA looses kid on chaperone service.

>>British Airways had made an announcement during the flight that all children flying alone should stay on board and wait to be met. However, Nikolay followed a group of more confident young travellers off the plane<<

What part of "wait to be met" would a 13 yo not understand. His parents need to use the "fully accompanied" option the next time. They might have actually used it on this, the child's first time flying.

London, United...
5. Re: BA looses kid on chaperone service.

To be fair here, I don't think we can fully blame the kid, BA should have procedures in place to make sure a kid does not walk off the plane.

An announcement does not cut it. Not when kids get excited, might not be listening, or even that some perv might be on the plane who convinces the child that he is responsible and to come with him....many children on a first trip, sadly might.

For me, BA fell down here hard. The child should not have got off the plane, sure, but he should not have been able to, without at least someone spotting him. The fact they did not even know they had lost him until told, is very poor indeed.

Calgary, Canada
reviews: 40
6. Re: BA looses kid on chaperone service.

At 13 and (apparently) fairly well travelled Master Nik should have been a bit more obedient to instructions both from his parents before he left, and the aircraft crew.

I have owned 3, 13 year olds - they are usually pretty savvy.

Madrid
reviews: 7
7. Re: BA looses kid on chaperone service.

My 14 year old boy has a Russian room mate who travels backwards and forewards between LHR-Moscow by himself.When young Pavel started at 13,he new exactly what to do,and had his travel documents in a pouch around his neck.

BA cannot hold a child hostage,if he disobays instructions and walks off,they cannot stop him.but equally they should then report the matter to the authorities immediately.Looks like BA failed in this,but most of the kids who travel from school back home do it so often,they know the drill,so BA would not normally expect this to happen.

York, England
reviews: 10
8. Re: BA looses kid on chaperone service.

LOL, the article is........daily mail.

there is no story here......headline should read

Boy ignores instructions, 'guardian' wants publicity, parents too busy to travel with child

Cala d'Or, Spain
reviews: 88
9. Re: BA looses kid on chaperone service.

#5, to be fair here , I don't think we can fully blame the kid.

What are BA supposed to do, tie him up with a rope. As a 13 year old, he should of had the brains to have not walked away.

London, United...
10. Re: BA looses kid on chaperone service.

I can see I have a different opinion to others, and no, I don't think that obviously. I do think BA should have been aware he left the plane. This is not a case that he did a runner and they were searching for him, this little guy deplaned normally and they had no clue he was gone and where he was.

That's my issue, the fact that a child under chaperone service could get off a plane and no one spotted it from the airline. That's where I think the procedures broke down and that's what I think is not acceptable.

Reply to: BA looses kid on chaperone service.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted