We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

connection between two airlines

Melbourne, Australia
connection between two airlines

So I've got a flight leaving from Rome on ChinaEastern at about 2pm, but I am thinking of flying in from London at 9am the same day on Ryan Air. Would it be possible to get the airlines to sort my boarded luggage. And just walk between the gates. Or would I have to collect my luggage, get pass customs, then check in all over again? if so, is the 5 hours going to be enough, give or take possible delays.

Adelaide, Australia
reviews: 32
1. Re: connection between two airlines

You will have to check in again.

5 hours should be enough.

UK
reviews: 26
2. Re: connection between two airlines

Ryanair does not do connections (not even with its own flights), so you would have to collect and re-check your baggage.

And are you sure that Ryanair's Rome is the same Rome as China Eastern's Rome? Ryanair do now fly to some main airports, so it's possible that they are flying to FCO... but one thing they are well known for is that they will fly to small-town airports, or even airports in the middle of nowhere, but advertise their destination as being the nearest well-known large city (which can be up to 100 km away). Ryanair's "Hamburg" is the city of Lübeck, 70 km away. Ryanair's "Frankfurt" is a former military base in the middle of nowhere, about 100 km away. Ryanair's "Oslo" is Sandefjord on the Norwegian South Coast.

And, thirdly, make sure you familiarise yourself with Ryanair's baggage rules including the cost of checked luggage. If you're checking baggage it's usually cheaper to use another carrier even if the headline fare looks a lot more.

Edited: 2:56 am, November 16, 2013
Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
reviews: 71
3. Re: connection between two airlines

Hi,

Ryanair (FR) does not have the necessary agreements in place with China Eastern (MU) to check, accept or transfer baggage from any FR flight to an MU flight or v.v.

As such, you will be required to reclaim it yourself and check it in again with your onward carrier.

Also remember you may be liable for bag fees on the second carrier and your free bag allowance (if any) can also vary between the two.

As this is a two-ticket booking YOU will bear ALL risks for a later arrival that may cause you to miss your onward flight.

Travel Safe,

Fredericia, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
4. Re: connection between two airlines

Ryanair do not interline with any airlines.

Ryanair and China Eastern use 2 different airports in Rome.

UK
reviews: 26
5. Re: connection between two airlines

Have just checked for you.... Ryanair's Rome flights go to Ciampino Airport (CIA), which is 32 km from Rome's main airport (FCO).

I would get a flight to FCO. Or, if you must fly Ryanair, travel the day before.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
6. Re: connection between two airlines

Different airports - RyanAir flies into Rome Ciampino, (CIA) and China Eastern uses Fiumicino (FCO). You'd have to clear immigration and customs and take your bags between airports. And don't underestimate the journey between them.

No Interline - RyanAir has no interline agreements with other airlines, so even if they used the same airport as China Eastern they won't and cannot through check bags.

Separate tickets - Given the above, be aware that with separate tickets, if you don't make it to FCO in time to check in, drop bags, or board, you'd be a no show and your ticket would be canceled. You'd have to buy a new ticket at the walk up fare, eye wateringly expensive.

Five hours sounds a lot, and it may just be doable. But any glitch along the way (delayed inbound, delay on getting from CIA to FCO) could royally screw you. I would NOT do this.

Consider a flight to Rome the day before and overnight there, and book it with a mainline carrier who'll have more backup flights in case if irrops.

Adelaide, Australia
reviews: 32
7. Re: connection between two airlines

<<And, thirdly, make sure you familiarise yourself with Ryanair's baggage rules including the cost of checked luggage. If you're checking baggage it's usually cheaper to use another carrier even if the headline fare looks a lot more.>.

This is just simply NOT true!

But anyway if you do want to take an LCC from London Easyjet DOES fly into FCO from London.

AND we would ALWAYS do what you are proposing. Saving $ is important right?

Well it is to me anyway

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
reviews: 77
8. Re: connection between two airlines

Using two different airports on the same day is going to cause you a lot of stress. Don't make this sort of booking.

essex
reviews: 47
9. Re: connection between two airlines

I agree with nozzie, have travelled widely with Ryanair and compared various other airlines with the amount Ryanair charge for hold luggage to many destinations in the world and Ryanair comes up substantially cheaper, if other airlines were cheaper taking into consideration fees for hold luggage then Ryanair would not be so popular.

Am not a great fan of O'Leary's airline but would never have been able to travel so often without Ryanair, Easyjet, and other no frills airlines.

Manchester
reviews: 112
10. Re: connection between two airlines

You need to fly into Fiumicino use EasyJet or Monarch