We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I have a cancellation credit that is about to expire on AA

Tallman, New York
I have a cancellation credit that is about to expire on AA

I had to cancel a non-refundable ticket on American earlier this year and the credit ($180) will expire Dec 19. I won't be able to use it by then, but I also don't want to lose it. I was thinking of booking the cheapest refundable ticket I can find (so far it's around $500) using the credit towards it, then canceling it a few days later. My question is, would AA refund the entire amount of $500 or deduct the credit and only give me back the $300? Has anyone ever tried this?

8 replies to this topic
Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
reviews: 1
1. Re: I have a cancellation credit that is about to expire on AA

Most likely they will refund the credit card portion to the card and maybe if they are a good mood, issue a new credit for the voucher portion, but I wouldn't count on that.

Nashville, TN
reviews: 8
2. Re: I have a cancellation credit that is about to expire on AA

You need to check the T&C's of the voucher. This may or may not be an option.

australia
reviews: 17
3. Re: I have a cancellation credit that is about to expire on AA

Cancellation payments normally go back to whence they came so you may still end up losing the money as per Vegas Guide check the T&C's first.

If I were you I would start planning a holiday for next year and put the money towards that ticket before the expiry date. Even if it is a weekend away somewhere.

Tallman, New York
4. Re: I have a cancellation credit that is about to expire on AA

Thanks for the replies all. Here's a follow up question: rather than a refund, do you think they would issue me another credit for the $500 so I can use it for a trip within the next year?

australia
reviews: 17
5. Re: I have a cancellation credit that is about to expire on AA

it would depend on the T & C's of the cancellation credit

Just read the Rules and NO you have to complete travel before the original credit runs out.

aa.com/i18n/…Refunds.jsp

scrolls down to Q no 5

Their system must have the ability to remove all bookings from a specific payment date (possibly for archiving hence the reason for a 1 year validity they seem to stick in the T & C's of tickets

UK
reviews: 83
6. Re: I have a cancellation credit that is about to expire on AA

I am pretty sure from threads on Flyertalk that you cannot extend credit in this way it's a fairly obvious loophole they have covered.

I would try and find something else you can use the credit on. Can it be used to buy miles ? A hotel?

White Plains, New...
reviews: 67
7. Re: I have a cancellation credit that is about to expire on AA

Are you taking into consideration the exchange fee on the original unused ticket? Does the $180 value you have reflect this?

San Diego...
8. Re: I have a cancellation credit that is about to expire on AA

One thing to be wary of when re-booking using cancellation credits is how much of the credit was airfare and how much was taxes. I had a situation on Alaskan where I had to cancel a vacation. I was given a credit of $330 odd dollars which is what my original flights cost. (the change fee is only charged when new tickets are purchased and not when the original tickets were cancelled and to give credit to Alaskan, the change fee then was only $75, rather than the industry standard $150-$200).

When I re-booked the vacation, the fare had dropped to 290 odd dollars. As expected, the excess dollars from my original fare could NOT be used towards the change fee, so I expected to pay the $75 and if I was lucky, keep the extra $40 as a credit. When I tried to pay for the new ticket, I was being charged $75, plus an additional $35 and I would keep a total of $75 worth of credit. I called Alaskan and they explained that my $330 of credit was split up as $240 of airfare and $90 of taxes and the new fare was made up of $165 of airfare and $125 of taxes. They went on to explain that airfare credit could only be used for airfare purchase and taxes credit could only be used towards the taxes portion of the new ticket. Net result was that I was paying $165 for the airfare and I had an airfare credit of $240, hence the $75 credit showing up in my account and I was now paying $125 in taxes and I only had a credit of $90 in taxes, so I owed them the extra $35 to make up the taxes.

Reply to: I have a cancellation credit that is about to expire on AA
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted