We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A solution to airline seats width

uk
Level Contributor
2,607 posts
21 reviews
A solution to airline seats width

dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2507441/…

As if by magic someone has invented the answer to the problem of obese people taking your space .

Deb

London, United...
Level Contributor
20,558 posts
23 reviews
1. Re: A solution to airline seats width

Yes, I just saw that as well, I am not sure it solves the fundamental problem though, in the fact that people don't want to pay more for more space. So many will still try to cram themselves into the smallest space as they do now, ie they can buy two seats now and don't, so it pretty much exists today.

However it would go some way towards resolving it I think, depending on both whether it was taken up by the airlines and the costs for the additional space.

London, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
41 reviews
2. Re: A solution to airline seats width

and how is it that you recline?

London, United...
Level Contributor
20,558 posts
23 reviews
3. Re: A solution to airline seats width

Oh good god,,,weight and reclining in one thread,,,!

australia
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
17 reviews
4. Re: A solution to airline seats width

I like the idea but policing it and making it happen per flight would be a nightmare unless centrally and mechanically controlled. You would have people buying the smallest width then changing it on board.

Although if someone asks to swap your aisle seat, you could now ask "what are you willing to pay for it"

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,562 posts
1 review
5. Re: A solution to airline seats width

Best bring a pillow, the headrests don't look particularly comfortable from the illustration. Of course there could be a lot more padding than is suggested, but to me it looks like a layer of fabric over a metal frame.

Edit: Just had a thought, as someone mentioned above, if this isn't somehow centrally controlled, how would the airlines deal the the aggravation of the skinny person the middle seat between two big people (as someone reported on another thread) where the big people make their seats wider before the skinny person arrives (or when he or she goes to the loo)?

Edited: 8:34 pm, November 14, 2013
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
6,897 posts
57 reviews
6. Re: A solution to airline seats width

I'm guessing it's something Ryanair can charge for during the flight when seat width needs readjusting.

Illinois
Level Contributor
12,102 posts
16 reviews
7. Re: A solution to airline seats width

So when you buy your ticket and select your seat, would it tell you how much space is left if there is already someone (or 2 people) sitting in your row? That would play havoc with seat changes at the last minute...

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
4,261 posts
15 reviews
8. Re: A solution to airline seats width

Interesting concept. Allowing a more flexible cabin config approach. Not reclining is good for short flights.

However, the problem with heavy pax is not that there is not enough space today, but that they are unwilling to pay for more space.

Shoalhaven...
Level Contributor
1,819 posts
159 reviews
9. Re: A solution to airline seats width

The problem still will not be solved, as the pax with the 25inch wide rear end will still claim it is a 15inch rear. Just like those lovely people who buy bike pants 6 sizes too small causing overflow. lol

London, United...
Level Contributor
20,558 posts
23 reviews
10. Re: A solution to airline seats width

I do wonder if there is a stigma attached to buying two seats ie people don't want to accept they need them and also assume it will be literally twice the price, when it would not be.

I think there would be little stigma with this, as many people who don't need would buy extra space for comfort.

However I don't think it would take off ( no pun intended) as unless it was automated, then each seat would have to be adjusted in between flights by crew to move it from what the last pax had to what the next pax has bought and locked in place That would add to turnaround time.

No way could it be left to the pax to do themselves, everyone would be making their seat bigger.