We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ryanair - Checking bags

Reno, Nevada
Ryanair - Checking bags

Hello,

I just bought a ticket with Ryanair from London to Cork but I didn't select the option to add a checked bag. I was stupid and I assumed the bags they allowed to be taken in cabin would be similar to other airlines and I assumed my backpack(for backpacking) would be safe. Upon further research I found that the tallest something can be is 55cm. I am very concerned since I do not have 60 euros to throw around in the case it doesn't meet their requirement. Fellow backpackers, what have you done and what would you suggest I do?

Thanks

15 replies to this topic
Travelling The World
reviews: 17
1. Re: Ryanair - Checking bags

What are the dimensions of the bag? If it's too big, it's too big and you will *not* get away with it. In that case you have two options - use a smaller bag or pay to check it.

Kudos though for asking before you fly. So many people assume as you did, don't check and have a nasty surprise.

madeira
Destination Expert
for Funchal, Madeira, Madeira Islands
reviews: 29
2. Re: Ryanair - Checking bags

You should always check the baggage restrictions as they always vary from airline to airline. From the Ryanair website

<<CABIN BAGGAGE

Strictly one item of cabin baggage per passenger (excluding infants) weighing up to 10kg with maximum dimensions of 55cm x 40cm x 20cm is permitted. (handbag, briefcase, laptop, shop purchases, camera etc.) must be carried in your 1 permitted piece of cabin baggage.

Extra/oversized cabin baggage will be refused at the boarding gate, or where available, placed in the hold of the aircraft for a fee of £60/€60. Fees are subject to VAT on Italian, French, Spanish, Portuguese and German domestic routes at applicable government rates. If you are unsure, check at the Bag Drop desk before going through security.

Travelling The World
3. Re: Ryanair - Checking bags

Note though that if the bag is too big you don't have to wait and pay the fee at the gate. You can still go back into "manage my booking" and add it, paying the lower fee.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
4. Re: Ryanair - Checking bags

Ryanair make a LOT of money from people who think "it's just a little bit bigger"

London
Destination Expert
for London
reviews: 73
5. Re: Ryanair - Checking bags

I think you can just add the bag via MMB on the site. Don't wait till the airport and hope for the best. Hope costs.

London, United...
reviews: 89
6. Re: Ryanair - Checking bags

I've flown with Ryanair many times, and they do enforce the restriction. I've seen them make people re-pack their bags at the gate. Even down to making women stuff their handbags into their trolleycase (1 bag per person is enforced!).

I've been caught out myself when trying to save a bit of cash by paying to only check in a 15kg bag - I had to re-organise things at the check-in desk, trying to eliminate about 1.5kg from my check in bag into my carry-on bag.

If I were you, I'd log back in to your booking, and add a checked-in bag! (Cheaper than doing it at the airport!)

Essex
reviews: 71
7. Re: Ryanair - Checking bags

The lovely Michael was on telly only the other day saying they are going to make the website more user friendly and also start to allow women to take a SMALL handbag as a second carry-on.

Waiting to see how small "small" really is, and if women can take one, why not men?

Essex
reviews: 71
8. Re: Ryanair - Checking bags

Eg.

telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/10404226/R…

Travelling The World
9. Re: Ryanair - Checking bags

"Waiting to see how small "small" really is, and if women can take one, why not men?"

Small has been defined: "no bigger than 35 x 20 x 20 cms". Men and women can take a second bag of those dimensions from 1 December. "Small ladies handbag" is just an example of the kind bag. A bag of airport shopping is also mentioned.

ryanair.com/en/news/ryanair-announces-custom…

Edited: 8:18 am, November 13, 2013
Reno, Nevada
10. Re: Ryanair - Checking bags

Thanks guys, I think I'm just going to go ahead and just pay to check a bag in advanced. I had previously done research on their restrictions before posting this (I wasn't just asking when I was too lazy to look myself) I was just curious how strictly they enforced it. There is a airline near me that never enforces its restrictions and I just wanted to test the waters before I did something potentially stupid and hope for the best. Thanks for the advice! Hopefully paying a little extra now will be worth it. Much better than being told I can't board!

Reply to: Ryanair - Checking bags
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted