We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stopver at Melbourne

Dumfriesshire...
reviews: 13
Stopver at Melbourne

Am flying from Dubai to Auckland on Emirates. There is an approx 1.5hr stopover in Melbourne. Can any one tell me if we get off plane and if so do we need to go through security and immigration? Also if we get off is it safe to leave our hand baggage on the plane?

Thanks

12 replies to this topic
Aberdeen, Scotland
reviews: 191
1. Re: Stopver at Melbourne

Yes you have to get off the plane and I wouldn't leave anything on the plane as its cleaned when its in MEL so chances are its going to be removed if left.

Its a fairly short walk to security where your bags/yourself are screened before going through to the departure gate.

Dumfriesshire...
2. Re: Stopver at Melbourne

Thanks for that ne_quine. I had wondered about buying duty free booze at Dubai but if we have to take it off plane in MEL and go through security, I suppose i that will be a no -no

jaimedos

Brisbane, Australia
3. Re: Stopver at Melbourne

You can still buy your duty free alcohol in Dubai. After you purchase, you take it to a 'packing station' or some such name where it is bubble wrapped and placed into secure box/carton. This is then delivered to the plane and you will collect it in Auckland.

Dumfriesshire...
4. Re: Stopver at Melbourne

Thanks, "I luv to travel" and greetings from Bonnie Scotland

jaimedos

Sydney/Melbourne
reviews: 41
5. Re: Stopver at Melbourne

Definitely buy theDF in Dubai - it's more expensive in Australia.

Of course, the other option is to buy it on arrival in NZ.

These websites will give you the prices at each so you can compare.

dubaidutyfree.com/content/…20OCT13.pdf

http://www.dfs.co.nz/

Dublin, Ireland
reviews: 1
6. Re: Stopver at Melbourne

I am flying Dublin to Brisbane via Dubai and Melbourne can I bring duty free through from Dubai too. Will they send it to Brisbane?

Do you know if I have to collect my cases in Melbourne to bring them through customs/immigration as we only have 90 minutes before our next flight

Sydney/Melbourne
7. Re: Stopver at Melbourne

Melbourne to Brisbane is a domestic flight. You will clear customs and immigration and get your luggage in Melbourne then go over to the domestic terminal (same building) to check in for the flight to Brisbane.

The good news is that there are no liquid restrictions on Australian domestic flights so if you can get your DF delivered to you in Melbourne you can then carry it onboard to go to Brisbane.

Dublin, Ireland
reviews: 1
8. Re: Stopver at Melbourne

many thanks evamelb. I only hope immigration is quicker there than Brisbane otherwise we won't make our connection but I can see there are plenty of flights between the cities and hopefully there will be room on the next one

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
reviews: 34
9. Re: Stopver at Melbourne

CatmoDublin, who are you flying with from Melbourne to Brisbane? If its either Virgin or QANTAS, then their terminals are within walking distance of the International terminal. If it is Tiger, then you may be pushing it for time as their terminal is a little further away and you need to be at the gate at least 45 minutes before boarding time.

Sydney/Melbourne
10. Re: Stopver at Melbourne

Also worth noting that if you are on a single ticket with either Virgin or Qantas and you miss your flight, there are regular flights out of MEL to BNE and they will put you on the next available one which should be within the hour.

Reply to: Stopver at Melbourne
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted