We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying through Chicago during a snow storm.

Cotuit...
reviews: 12
Flying through Chicago during a snow storm.

Hey everyone,

Next Wednesday my family and I will be flying to New Mexico, on Southwest Airlines (don't know if naming the airline is important to the question, but I thought I'd through that out there just-in-case), to visit family and to have a nice vacation. I noticed on the news this morning that Boston might get a snow storm next Wednesday. Still a bit early for them to tell 100% if it's going to be a hit or miss, but I'm starting to get a bit nervous, I'd hate to miss this trip due to snow. Because of this, I checked the long range forecast for Chicago and have discovered that Chicago's due to get snow on Wednesday as well (things could change between now and then, but I'm going with they're getting snow). Now I know that Chicago deals with snow all the time, but at what point does a snow storm in Chicago start making airlines late or, worse still, cancel flights? We're due to fly out of Boston on Wednesday at 4:50 pm and into Chicago 6:40 pm for a quick 40 minute connection. Depending on when the snow's due to start in Boston I may not have to worry about my flight being delayed, which should make it easier to get my connecting flight in Chicago. I don't think I'll have anything to worry about, but I thought I'd ask everyone here to get some ideas as to what to expect.

Thanks

4 replies to this topic
Dallas
1. Re: Flying through Chicago during a snow storm.

Weather delays are common in Chicago, and it will slow down and delay arrivals and departures.

The forecast I see for Chicago on weather.com for next Wednesday says its going to be sunny and 0% chance of precipitation of any kind. I don't see any snow in the forecast for the entire 10 days.

I think maybe you are over-worrying. Not much you can do about it ahead of time anyway.

Chicago
reviews: 1
2. Re: Flying through Chicago during a snow storm.

As of right now there is no precipitation in the forecast for Wednesday. Poor visibility and the need to keep runways clear can certainly cause delays, as well as weather elsewhere, but I agree that it is pointless for you to stress about it currently.

http://www.chicagoweathercenter.com

Cotuit...
3. Re: Flying through Chicago during a snow storm.

Thanks for the replies. I looked on accue weather's website's long range forecast and saw snow and started t thinking about it. But you're both right, pointless to worry about it now. Thanks again.

texas
reviews: 23
4. Re: Flying through Chicago during a snow storm.

Had this happen a few years ago when we went from NYC home to Texas by way of Chicago on Southwest. Had snow all over the place and ice and plane had to be deiced. Never had to deal with that before as I rarely fly. The airport seems to be able to handle it quite well, so my advice would be not to worry about it because there is absolutely nothing you can do about weather, so just go with it. If any area knows how to deal with ice and snow it is them.

Reply to: Flying through Chicago during a snow storm.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted