We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will EK introduce 11 across configuration on A380?

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
reviews: 40
Will EK introduce 11 across configuration on A380?

Quite a discussion on Flyertalk re this subject - Tim Clark at EK said a 3-5-3 seat configuration on the A380 would work.

Nothing concrete yet but its worrying they think its a feasible prospect.

Seems a lot of airlines are considering adding more seats.

Tim seems to think that pax will not notice cramped seating if they have good IFE and decent food...........

…wsj.com/news/articles/SB1000142405270230438…

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Destination Expert
for Poland
reviews: 42
1. Re: Will EK introduce 11 across configuration on A380?

Flew ATA LGW to New York many years ago in 3-5-3, with single class cabin and no dividers. When you went to the toilet at the front and looked up the plane it was like being on a stage in a theatre - x rows, 11 across, going into the far distance!

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 117
2. Re: Will EK introduce 11 across configuration on A380?

Read that as well bronia, I for one would not book on the 380 which had such seating, its bad enough as it is....You can keep your ICE and food, give me more room!

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
reviews: 234
3. Re: Will EK introduce 11 across configuration on A380?

It may work for the Sub-Continent sectors but pax from US,Europe and the East routes will move elsewhere.

London, United...
reviews: 14
4. Re: Will EK introduce 11 across configuration on A380?

I suppose as long you have space to move it'll be fine, I too flew in a 3 5 3 config and it really looked like a big theatre, but luckily the plain was almost empty, I don't though what it would feel like on a packed plane.

Wirral U.K.
reviews: 27
5. Re: Will EK introduce 11 across configuration on A380?

Emirates are among an increasing amount of airlines also putting 10 across the 777. This make it really tight.

Qatar still have 9 across.

IMHO Emirates are not the airline they used to be.

Fredericia, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
6. Re: Will EK introduce 11 across configuration on A380?

This make it really tight

------------------------

Yes, if 0.5" is important to you;-)

australia
reviews: 17
7. Re: Will EK introduce 11 across configuration on A380?

I flew on the A380 recently if they move to 11 across I will not be flying EK again.

The upper seat portion has no room to manoeuvre When trying to eat you have to keep your upper arms against your body otherwise you dig the next passenger in the ribs. After 22 hours in the air it is not good.

The seats themselves are comfortable but anymore reduction will make it impossible for a considerable proportion of people not fitting in them... And yes .5" can make a massive difference. That is a whole dress size.

As the person I sat next to said at the beginning of the flight "This is cosy we should know each other very well by the end of the flight"

Motherwell, United...
reviews: 7
8. Re: Will EK introduce 11 across configuration on A380?

Half an inch multiplied by 10 only gives 5 inches. Basically the other 12 inches required will reduce the aisle width by 6 inches for each aisle. Emirates flights aren't renowned for space on the 777 and surely this'll cause the same problems on the 380.

Like others I'm sure this will lead to a migration to competitors where available although if prices are low the vast majority of flyers will check in based on price.

Regards

Jim

NZ
reviews: 26
9. Re: Will EK introduce 11 across configuration on A380?

That's me off the passenger list if they do.

Worthing, United...
reviews: 27
10. Re: Will EK introduce 11 across configuration on A380?

If it allows them to offer cheaper fares their planes will still fly full, just with passengers that would normally have flown with other, cheaper airlines.