We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airbus calls for wider seats on long haul flights

London, United...
TripAdvisor Staff  What's this?
Airbus calls for wider seats on long haul flights

You may have seen the news recently that Airbus has called for a minimum standard on the width of plane seats, following a consumer survey into passenger comfort levels: …sky.com/story/1160469/airbus-airline-appeal…

It also follows a recent study by Which? which also looked into the different seat widths offered by different airlines.

We're interested in your views on this topic. Do you find plane seats are too narrow on long haul flights? Do you ever consider seat width when selecting which airline to fly with?

33 replies to this topic
Tamworth, United...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
reviews: 8
1. Re: Airbus calls for wider seats on long haul flights

This is the question on Today's Poll. In economy I don't think the seats offer enough room. For me it's not necessarily the width but the leg room but upon saying that I'd not say no to a couple more inches on the seat width. I do find the the leg room is insufficient and this year having had a knee operation it has prevented me flying.

I don't however book an airline purely for seat pitch. If the flight goes from the local airport and the price and flight time is good then i'll book it.

London, United...
reviews: 413
2. Re: Airbus calls for wider seats on long haul flights

Personally I choose a long haul flight from overall services. Luckily I am fit enough to sit in an economy seat however I prefer bit of personal space so I would not fly with airlines that offer squeezed cattle wagon with high energy cheap food. After having lost elit status from the United and Delta sometime ago, I am more sensitive to select an airline especially for a long haul. Unreclining seat is no no for me. In the end of day, prices should be matched with services offered. I am sure that nobody expects first-class services from LCC like Ryanair.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 53
3. Re: Airbus calls for wider seats on long haul flights

Do you ever consider seat width when selecting which airline to fly with?

Yes, it does affect my choice of seating and is one of the reasons I opt to fly premium cabins both long and short haul.

Cala d'Or, Spain
reviews: 88
4. Re: Airbus calls for wider seats on long haul flights

We already have a choice of seats on long haul travel , economy, premium economy, business and first.

Everyone wants more seat width, leg room etc. but don't necessarily want to pay for it. For a large number of travellers, it's how cheap they can purchase a ticket for and then whine about the cramped seats later.

5. Re: Airbus calls for wider seats on long haul flights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 5:49 pm, November 06, 2013

South Jersey
reviews: 64
6. Re: Airbus calls for wider seats on long haul flights

I think Airbus is more interested in the bottom line than the bottoms of passengers:

…chicagotribune.com/2013-11-01/business/chi-…

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
reviews: 222
7. Re: Airbus calls for wider seats on long haul flights

Throughout the Western world obesity (the medical term) is now out of control and bodies are getting larger,wider and heavier and at the same time seat widths are being limited by manufacturers and airlines for cost reasons.

Airlines do have to respond.but so do their clients.

If you are large and cannot squeeze into a seat you have the choice of paying more for a premium cabin seat.

SS

Iowa
reviews: 18
8. Re: Airbus calls for wider seats on long haul flights

If we can't afford PE, Business, or 1st Class, how much choice do we have? When there's not enough room to cross one's legs once in awhile or to do some in-seat exercises and when we can barely wiggle around in the seat to shift position, some of us with even mild arthritic conditions find flying to be painful. We buy PE+ seats whenever possible to help with leg room -- and it does help overall -- but a bit more width would be wonderful. We are willing and able to pay a few dollars more for that bit of extra room, but when you're simply gaining a reasonable amount of space and not extra service, the extra costs need to be kept moderate.

Iowa
reviews: 18
9. Re: Airbus calls for wider seats on long haul flights

Correction -- we buy E+ seats whenever we can. (Not PE+ -- don't think there is such a thing, and if there was we couldn't afford it.)

Sydney/Melbourne
reviews: 41
10. Re: Airbus calls for wider seats on long haul flights

Seat width is not a problem for me. I'm not tiny but I can fit comfortably into an economy seat.

What gives me grief and drives me to premium cabins is the overall design of the seat and in particular the lack of lumbar support that plays havoc with my lower back and causes agony.

It's the pain that stops me from sleeping, not the seat width.

Reply to: Airbus calls for wider seats on long haul flights
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted