We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Who here checks the flight status prior to departure date

Houston, Texas
reviews: 199
Who here checks the flight status prior to departure date

How many of you before flying out especially international check in on how the flight has been doing prior to your departure date?

Here is an example.

flightstats.com/go/…

Before I went to Berlin, I was checking in the flight status for the airline I was using daily to see how often it was on time, when it left late, or worse yet if the flight was going to be cancelled.

16 replies to this topic
Fredericia, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
1. Re: Who here checks the flight status prior to departure date

On time today could be delayed/cancelled tomorrow;-)

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
reviews: 49
2. Re: Who here checks the flight status prior to departure date

Do you mean checking your itinerary for schedule changes? Sure, every few days. It's the only way to reliably stay informed in case of a schedule change.

Or did I misunderstand and you're checking the performance of your upcoming flights on other days? Not sure I would have time (or interest) in doing that. I often have 7-8 different trips lined up at any given time. Can't imagine the value of checking each of them every day.

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
reviews: 31
3. Re: Who here checks the flight status prior to departure date

Rarely. Not much you can do if it is delayed. Just book though the airline then you know they will get you to where ever you are going...eventually.

Houston, Texas
reviews: 199
4. Re: Who here checks the flight status prior to departure date

I think I was checking mine because it was going to be my first time in that country and also it was the only flight that day going to that country. Other flights domestically there are usually multiple flights, so no need to be checking those much.

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 15
5. Re: Who here checks the flight status prior to departure date

I sometimes do if I have a tight connection or if I'm on separate tickets. Not that it really makes a difference either way once the ticket is purchased.

Arcadia, California
reviews: 20
6. Re: Who here checks the flight status prior to departure date

You might want to look at this site which will give you the history for the last 2 weeks or so of the flight.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/UAL932

When flying a European carrier I'll check the incoming flight early in the day, so I'll know if an on-time departure is likely. Air travel being what it is there is no guarantee that your flight will follow the historic pattern, but it gives you some indication.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
7. Re: Who here checks the flight status prior to departure date

For those flying United, get the mobile app. Then check your reservation approximately 48-72 hours out from departure, when they've assigned the particular aircraft to your flight(s), and you can track the tail using the "Where is this aircraft coming from" button. You can continually do that to see the flight it's currently serving and its status. You can do that on united.com but it's much easier using the app.

I use that all the time. For my last flight to India (EWR-BOM) the inbound aircraft's previous three flights were PEK-EWR, EWR-PEK and TLV-EWR. Monitored them a couple of times a day and all were running well.

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 12
8. Re: Who here checks the flight status prior to departure date

If I'm checking in online 24 hrs before the flight, I check then to see that my flight times etc have not changed.

If I'm somewhere where I cannot check in online or don't have access to a computer, I just get to the airport early (3 or 4 hours) and hope I'm not going to get a surprise.

I can't be bothered looking at my flight to see if it has form.

Canada
reviews: 23
9. Re: Who here checks the flight status prior to departure date

Checking a flight's performance for on time status is not uncommon.

It all depends on your degree of OCD.

It certainly won't affect the performance on your Travel day, but for some it seems to soothe.....

Medford, Oregon
reviews: 15
10. Re: Who here checks the flight status prior to departure date

I really like the TripCase app. http://travel.tripcase.com/

It updates flight status in real time, and will alert you to any flight changes. On a recent flight where I changed planes at SFO there was a gate change for my connecting flight, and TripCase showed it immediately.

Reply to: Who here checks the flight status prior to departure date
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted