We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overnight Layover Miami 11PM to 9:50AM Flight

Phoenix, Arizona
reviews: 33
Overnight Layover Miami 11PM to 9:50AM Flight

Any opinions on whether it's worth it to try to book a hotel overnight for this layover? How regular and reliable are the shuttles to the outlying hotels? The Airport Hotel is booked the night we are considering.

Does anyone have experience with the shuttle wait heading to the hotels and returning to MIA?

It appears the Airline Lounges, American's Admiral's Club, close at 11:30PM and reopen at 5AM. That's not at all convenient.

Edited: 10:42 pm, November 05, 2013
14 replies to this topic
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 38
1. Re: Overnight Layover Miami 11PM to 9:50AM Flight

This is probably a Miami Forum question - hotel and shuttle, not flights and air travel.

Phoenix, Arizona
2. Re: Overnight Layover Miami 11PM to 9:50AM Flight

Sure, I'll post there, but thought the Admiral's Club question was relevant. Is it worth it to buy into one of these plans if the availability is limited? For a short layover, unless you travel so frequently you know where every lounge is located, it does not seem worthwhile. I guess an individual choice.

Madrid
reviews: 7
3. Re: Overnight Layover Miami 11PM to 9:50AM Flight

There are many hotels close to MIA with regular free shuttle buses.Allmost all of the big chains have them.

The Admirals club staff go home at night,and both at MIA are closed up.

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 32
4. Re: Overnight Layover Miami 11PM to 9:50AM Flight

Airline lounges are not designed to be overnight sleeping places. I can't imagine why you would not want to book a hotel and either take their shuttle or take a cab. Any decent 4 star and up hotel will have reliable shuttle service

Fort Lauderdale...
reviews: 91
5. Re: Overnight Layover Miami 11PM to 9:50AM Flight

American does not operate many flights between midnight and 6am so there really isnt a need for the lounge to remain open.

Phoenix, Arizona
6. Re: Overnight Layover Miami 11PM to 9:50AM Flight

Thank you for the replies. We have just begun using American more regularly, so we are not familiar with their lounges. We were hoping to freshen up a bit and have a quiet, safe, place to relax. We really never can sleep when in transit. We have only a four hour layover arriving at 6AM, so the lounge may work for us. We are meeting our kids in MIA for a flight to MBJ and they arrive at 11PM the previous evening. They may need the hotel. Just worrying about the shuttle. I don't know if they can afford a 4 star for just a few hours.

Fort Lauderdale...
reviews: 91
7. Re: Overnight Layover Miami 11PM to 9:50AM Flight

try and priceline a room then

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 32
8. Re: Overnight Layover Miami 11PM to 9:50AM Flight

There's no reason to worry about shuttles. Airline hotels are in the business of accomodating client's and providing shuttles to and from the airport is part of the service offered. Many business people and others rely on those shuttles all the time..no reason to think they will suddenly let you down.

Nassau, New...
9. Re: Overnight Layover Miami 11PM to 9:50AM Flight

Unless it's not in your budget, I'd get a hotel. The 'short' layover IMHO would be if your flight left at 6am.

You'll get the most sleep here because it's on site - http://www.miahotel.com - and sometimes the price is competitive. And sometimes not.

Edited: 7:53 pm, November 17, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
10. Re: Overnight Layover Miami 11PM to 9:50AM Flight

Would we have to leave the secured area and go back through TSA to use the facility in the airport? I've looked at the map and the Airport Hotel looks centrally located, we are all on American. Like I said, my kids arrive at 11PM and the flight we are all on together does not leave until 9:50AM. We arrive at 6AM so no biggie for us, but I want the kids to arrive fairly refreshed. It's a dream trip for them and who wants to spend the night in the airport. It looks like we can book the Airport Hotel with my Expedia Points, or not??? I will call Expedia....

I still feel risky taking the hotel shuttles late at night and making sure the kids will get back in time for the flight in the AM. We use Super Shuttle all the time and Hotel Shuttles occasionally. Not always on the spot reliable.

Reply to: Overnight Layover Miami 11PM to 9:50AM Flight
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted