We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to gracefully hurdle the aisle seat passenger?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
reviews: 93
How to gracefully hurdle the aisle seat passenger?

After causing some controversy with my security comments, I have another question.

On the 13 hour leg home (Dubai/Sydney) my son had the window, I had the middle, and a young man had the aisle. He promptly boarded and fell into a coma, sound asleep. Within the first hour my son and I needed to use the bathroom and for the love of Pete we couldn't wake him to squeeze past. We ended up doing an ungainly climb over him much to the amusement of other people around. He still didn't wake up. This happened another three times. Boy could this man sleep!

Has this or anything similar happened to anyone else and what did you do?

50 replies to this topic
Adelaide, Australia
reviews: 32
1. Re: How to gracefully hurdle the aisle seat passenger?

I bet he took "pills". On our o/night flight from HNL to Salt Lake City there was a family with a baby about 1 year old. He screamed almost nonstop for at least 2 hours. His mother didnt even stir.. Father and FAs seemed helpless to do anything to stop him. Infuriating!!

But re your question I think you DO just have to climb over them.

Illinois
reviews: 16
2. Re: How to gracefully hurdle the aisle seat passenger?

I do remember a flight back from Germany where I had the window and the aisle seat passenger slept the whole flight. Usually I can just wait until they get up, but this guy wasn't getting up. The German (?) woman in the middle seat and I sort of giggled as she tried to help me step over the guy (he was substantially larger than either of us). I was just hoping he wouldn't wake up as I was straddling his legs on the way out...

Sydney/Melbourne
reviews: 41
3. Re: How to gracefully hurdle the aisle seat passenger?

Just to add to the dilemma, as a matter of etiquette, if the aisle passenger just moves their knees aside to let you squeeze by rather than standing to let you get through, do you scramble over them face foreward (embarrassing) or with your b*m in their face (just as embarrassing)?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
reviews: 93
4. Re: How to gracefully hurdle the aisle seat passenger?

@ btgm - HAHAHAHA! Laughing so loud I choked on my coffee. I was hoping this wouldn't happen to me or worse, the plane would hit turbulence and I would accidentally end up lap dancing him.

Illinois
reviews: 16
5. Re: How to gracefully hurdle the aisle seat passenger?

I face them as then I have more control over what contact there is. That's just me though. I figure if they don't like it then they should have gotten up (most people do) and if they get their thrills that way, I just feel sorry for them regarding the rest of their lives.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
6. Re: How to gracefully hurdle the aisle seat passenger?

I would be the guy in the aisle seat!

But I don't take pills, so you would be able to wake me and ask me to move. Just don't do it every 10 minutes .... pleeeeeaassse!

NE Victoria...
reviews: 18
7. Re: How to gracefully hurdle the aisle seat passenger?

To add to the scenario... What happens if the person in front of the person seated in the aisle has reclined their seat to its fullest extent - and they both are asleep? That can make it a little awkward...

Derbyshire
reviews: 73
8. Re: How to gracefully hurdle the aisle seat passenger?

Book an aisle seat instead of a window seat?

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
9. Re: How to gracefully hurdle the aisle seat passenger?

Fly an A330/340 or a 767. With a 2-4-2 and 2-3-2 configuration respectively you'd have the window and aisle seats to yourselves and no sleeping bear next to you to hurdle.

Or, get seats in the center section. With a 2-4-2 or 2-3-2 you'd not have to hurdle any stranger as long as you get an aisle-middle.

I, as a solo flier, choose the aisle in the center three on the 777, because there's only a 25% chance of my being disturbed (50% chance of the middle pax asking me to move, but also a 50% chance of the two seats next to me being occupied by a couple and so not disturbing me at all).

Melbourne
reviews: 7
10. Re: How to gracefully hurdle the aisle seat passenger?

I can usually squeeze past or step over legs without too much contact to the aisle person but it's still not "graceful" - I don't think it can be done gracefully, it's an awkward thing to have to do in a very small space!

My bf struggles to squeeze past without a fair bit of contact but if the aisle person is asleep and doesn't move or doesn't get out of the seat there's not much he can do.

On a Mel - LAX flight earlier this year we had a girl in the aisle seat who didn't budge for pretty much the entire flight (she seemed quite sick so it was probably feeling sick + sleeping pills). She was bundled up under her blanket slouched quite low in her seat with her knees against the seat in front. I had to stand up on my middle seat and almost leap over her at one stage to get out!

Reply to: How to gracefully hurdle the aisle seat passenger?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted