We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

South America air pass

Ballarat, Australia
reviews: 66
South America air pass

Hello fellow travellers,

I am travelling to South America next year, and am interested in the air pass.

How rigid are they? I understand that you have to lock in the first segment, and the others are left open ended. Can you easily change destinations or are there big fees associated with that? I can lock in the first flight, but really have no idea as to the others. I am going to be on the continent for 6 months though, so I am confident I will end up taking at least 3 flights within.

Are they really priced on the miles? Likely I will be flying into Brazil from Ecuador or something around World Cup time when the prices will be astronomical. Will there be surcharges? Does the airpass have black out dates that the airlines can impose when they wish? Also, does anyone know if you have to book your flights from Australia through QANTAS at the same time, or can you book the air pass separately? Booking my flights from Melbourne to Buenos Aires will cost me about $1200 more through QANTAS as opposed to a third party booker, so I won't be doing that!

I would call QANTAS with these questions, however I am overseas at the moment which makes it more difficult...

Thanks!

1. Re: South America air pass

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, November 06, 2014