We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Huge United Airlines miles devaluation!

Denver, Colorado
reviews: 2
Huge United Airlines miles devaluation!

I just read that United is making a huge mile devaluation for any award bookings on or after February 1, 2014. Book any awards before that date to get the old award price.

welltraveledmile.com/the-rundown-on-uniteds-…

Very frequent flyer unfriendly move by United. :-(

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
1. Re: Huge United Airlines miles devaluation!

"Very frequent flyer unfriendly move by United. :-("

While any "devaluation", which means they've increased the miles required for each award ticket, is not welcome, United's rates are still in line and comparable with the other US carriers (Delta, American and US Airways).

Here's an article that shows each airline's redemption requirements side by side (with UA's at next year's rate).

milecards.com/7620/…

Denver, Colorado
reviews: 2
2. Re: Huge United Airlines miles devaluation!

Agreed it's not the end of the world, but it makes business class partner awards on some of the better airlines totally ridiculous.

Worldwide
reviews: 620
3. Re: Huge United Airlines miles devaluation!

Hmmm. Though not the end of the world, it seems to continue the trend of United (and of those North American siblings which seem to be roughly like-minded) to devaluate their relative worth to the customer in the face of (1) airlines with better focus on customers and business partners {e.g. many-most Skytrax 5- and 4-star airlines) and (2) airlines which offer acceptable customer attitude plus lower cost structures (some LCCs).

Is it also an indication that United is trying to weaken the value of Star Alliance (and of MP itself) for MP members? Is it seeing how much it can squeeze out of MP before people MP members revolt and focus more on another FF scheme?

- Will this encourage people to fly less on UA?

- Who will fly less on *A partners - thus devaluing *A?

- Will this be good for AirAsiaX, EasyJet, etc?

- Will this be good for virtual networking, and for the providers of the infrastructure for such stuff?

Is MP United's greatest asset {other than the USA's closed skies policies which effectively impede better airlines from serving the 50 states} - and when will United shave enough away from MP to cause an exodus? Which *A airline will modify its FF programme to make it more attractive, and draw business away from MP?

I've been taking fewer flights for over half a decade. 21st century electronic networking alternatives keep improving, making flying less necessary.

Will this particular change in MP awards change things much? It's unlikely to be the straw that breaks the camel's back. But some future straw, laid by the same folks playing the same "game of chicken with the customer", may just be just such a straw.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
reviews: 182
4. Re: Huge United Airlines miles devaluation!

I think the flyertalk community is trying to come up with the United equivalent of "skypesos".... Anyways, these changes are a trend, in my mind, but the one thing United has going is accessing the Star Alliance network of flight options. So, when I wanted to fly from Brussels to Warsaw last month, I was able to see availability and book it online and directly with United (LOT Airlines). Many partners will block availability.

atlanta
reviews: 31
5. Re: Huge United Airlines miles devaluation!

Wonder where all those flyers who stormed off other airlines to United will go now?

Palmetto, Florida
reviews: 10
6. Re: Huge United Airlines miles devaluation!

I will have to make more money to pay for that new medical insurance starting 2014. So in same way, I can always consider that credit card for extra miles or other ways to get more miles. More important is the availability of awards flights/seats given. If United doesn't make changes on this then I will likely stay. Thanks for the heads up.

7. Re: Huge United Airlines miles devaluation!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10:35 am, December 30, 2013
8. Re: Huge United Airlines miles devaluation!

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

9. Re: Huge United Airlines miles devaluation!

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 32
10. Re: Huge United Airlines miles devaluation!

San88-if you want to delete that post (#7), just click on the report inappopriate comment in blue--you will see ""Remove my Post" as long as it you own comment. (I know that does not make sense, but it is the only way to remove one of your own postings)

Don't let some people discourage you from posting.

Edited: 10:05 am, December 30, 2013