We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Time between connections

Time between connections

We are flying from Houston to Israel with Turkish Airlines connecting through Istanbul. We have 2 hours to reach our connecting flight to Israel. At Ataturk Airport, is that enough time between connections?

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
reviews: 210
1. Re: Time between connections

Your luggage should be checked all the way to Israel, so you will not need to collect it in Istanbul and re-check it in. This means you can stay airside and have no need to purchase a Turkish visa or move through Turkish immigrations. These are the areas that normally slow down people processing through Ataturk. Assuming you have a boarding pass for your flight between Istanbul and Israel all you need to do is walk from your arrival gate to your departure gate, and you can do this quickly.

The only reason I occasionally schedule more time for plane changes is when I am using two different tickets with two different airlines. In this situation, if your arriving flight is detained for weather, crew or mechanical issues, and you miss your connecting flight neither your arriving airline or your connecting airline will be responsible for a missed connection. You could be forced to purchase the connecting flight ticket for a later flight all over again, and at a significant higher price.

On rare occasions when I have this situation I allow lots of time between the connections. Otherwise, if your arriving flight on Turkish Air is detained and you miss your connecting flight on Turkish Air, Turkish Air will assume all responsibility for putting you on the next available flight they have to Israel. Depending on why your arriving flight was delayed, they may even pay for hotel and meal expenses if you have to remain in Istanbul over night.

So need to worry. You have a contract with Turkish Air to deliver you to Israel, and they will honor that.

Farnham, United...
reviews: 20
2. Re: Time between connections

We went through Ataturk in late October in about 1 hr

Only possible problem is there is a security check before you get back to the main departure area

We initially found a small overloaded checkpoint BUT walked on further to find that there is a much larger checkpoint area

If you find this Ask for the way to the larger check area!

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
3. Re: Time between connections

See here:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293984-i3332-k694…

The consensus seems to be that it's good.

4. Re: Time between connections

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, November 07, 2014