We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Young couple trying to visit family in UK cheapest way poss

Chicago, Illinois
Young couple trying to visit family in UK cheapest way poss

Hi! Thanks in advance for even reading this!

We are a young couple (mid-20s) I'm a public school teacher and partner is in grad school still so we don't have a lot of funds but we are trying to get to the UK for a wedding in June. We live in Chicago but we would be willing to take small flights to east coast or into Dublin or just anything advice we would basically take on how to get there the most inexpensive way. Also any advice on where would be worth flying to from UK to visit for a couple weeks while we are over there? Thank you!

UK
reviews: 89
1. Re: Young couple trying to visit family in UK cheapest way poss

Let's start with "where's the wedding?"

Banbury
2. Re: Young couple trying to visit family in UK cheapest way poss

I always find indirect flights to be the cheapest so look at those options.

There's plenty of choices when it comes to cheap flights to Europe, Easyjet even do return flights to Moscow for under £100 if you're interested?

Travelling The World
reviews: 26
3. Re: Young couple trying to visit family in UK cheapest way poss

At the moment Chicago to London is about $1000 in June. There will probably be sales between now and then.

If you go to www.skyscanner.net you can look at flights to any destination in the UK from Chicago (or any city you can get to easily) in one search. You can choose dates or a range of dates (including a whole month).

Edited: 5:56 am, November 02, 2013
Naples, Florida
reviews: 6
4. Re: Young couple trying to visit family in UK cheapest way poss

One site that is designed just for students and teachers is http://www.statravel.com/

Not being any one of these, I've never used it. However, it may be worth checking out, etc.

Romford, United...
reviews: 22
5. Re: Young couple trying to visit family in UK cheapest way poss

Find that AA flight from ORD-DUB tends to be marginally cheaper overall than ORD-LHR flights (even with the costs of buying an add on flight from DUB-UK) primarily due to Ireland's lower Air Passenger Departure Tax and dependent on where in the UK the wedding is being held???, this may also save even more money on onward transportation costs within the UK

UK
reviews: 89
6. Re: Young couple trying to visit family in UK cheapest way poss

(even with the costs of buying an add on flight from DUB-UK)

=======

But do not book as two separate flights unless you intend to spend some time in Dublin first.

Also, be very careful with any prices you get from skyscanner, ones from third parties rather than the airline direct, can be very unreliable (aka bare faced lies about the prices).

Travelling The World
7. Re: Young couple trying to visit family in UK cheapest way poss

"But do not book as two separate flights unless you intend to spend some time in Dublin first."

If you don't book as two separate flights (at least on the return) the advantages of the lower APD are wiped out. But yes, I would avoid doing this unless you give yourself at least 24 hours in Dublin.

Never had a problem with Skyscanner. They find prices directly with the airlines (so you can avoid the dodgy third parties). Just look under the fare and it will tell you if you are buying direct with the airline or through a third party. I have never had a problem when I went direct to the airline.

London, United...
reviews: 23
8. Re: Young couple trying to visit family in UK cheapest way poss

Try sky scanner.

Not quite sure why you posted twice you were young or what that has to do with it? Mostly, when in full time employment and at mid twenties and beyond people see themselves as fully formed adults and don't overly emphasise that they see themselves as "young", which depending on perspective you are or you are not.

Honestly, I was expecting to see someone late teens posting. Hence my comment. Why call it out, when it's not relevant?

Travelling The World
9. Re: Young couple trying to visit family in UK cheapest way poss

"Why call it out, when it's not relevant?"

It is relevant, hence the STA suggestion. They offer special fares for people 26 and under and students of all ages.

Romford, United...
reviews: 22
10. Re: Young couple trying to visit family in UK cheapest way poss

Joe as usual you are right-by buying two separate tickets you do run the risk that if you flight from ORD-DUB is late or delayed the next carrier from DUB-UK is under no obligation to honour you tickets(they will just treat you as a no show) also normal luggage allowance on AA flights is 23kgs but on DUB-UK flights it can be only zero,15kgs or 20kgs dependent on your selection and the carrier concerned