We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Southwest Experience

Boston...
reviews: 124
Southwest Experience

Recently flew from Vegas to Reno on SW. The plane looked ancient at the gate. I could see rust on the tail. We went out to the runway and the breaks sounded awful, like car brakes when they need attention, squealing and gripping. We got out there and at the last minute, headed back to the gate. An engine light went on in the cockpit.

They said it was not critical but had it fixed. We were at the gate for a while as this happened. Again we went out onto the runway and again, they cancelled takeoff last minute. This time another different indicator was on. Something about the brakes.

This is not a rant about Southwest. This is to congratulate their transparency and decision to unload the plane and put us on a different one. It was a logistical pain for their staff, inconvenienced everyone on the plane, but nobody cared. Being an hour or two late is better than dying in a plane crash. The Pilot apologized for the delay, said safety is the top priority and everyone applauded. They also gave us vouchers against future travel.

Very pleased with Southwest.

Edited: 11:39 am, November 01, 2013
Bloomfield, New York
1. Re: Southwest Experience

They are my favorite also. Must have been a little nerve racking for all, but glad it worked out well.

Milford, Ohio
reviews: 91
2. Re: Southwest Experience

Finally... someone appreciates WHY a flight is delayed and not complaining about the company failing to maintain their fleet! Hats off to you :~) Enjoy your next trip!

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 18
3. Re: Southwest Experience

Nice post. I was soooo expecting an anti WN rant and very pleased when you showed intelligence in your conclusion. It never ceases to amaze me how many people feel they should fly regardless of weather or indicator lights.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
reviews: 11
4. Re: Southwest Experience

SWA is my favorite carrier- always have been nice to deal with and completely professional. I personally love the open seating- makes it easy to avoid crying children, talkative elderly ladies and those who usurp adjoining seat space. I like to observe possible seatmates before sitting near them.

Boston...
5. Re: Southwest Experience

Wasn't just me. The whole plane applauded. We chatted as we lined up to board the new plane. We were grateful. Everyone was extra nice to the gate agent who had to check IDs since boarding passes had been collected. Logistical pain but if anyone minded I didn't hear them.

Southwest gets big trust points from me. That's why I'm posting here. They earned some loyalty from me. Very happy they switched planes. Hoping they see this and feel good about their actions. Also hoping other carriers realize passengers want safety first.

Edited: 11:57 am, November 02, 2013
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
reviews: 795
6. Re: Southwest Experience

What a pleasant surprise to read your third paragraph, LOL!

Spartanburg, South...
7. Re: Southwest Experience

Just curious.....how much of a voucher did you get? I have never been delayed on SW other than by the weather.

Boston...
8. Re: Southwest Experience

Not enough for a whole other r/t flight but enough to be a generous gesture. We were grateful and thought it was a nice gesture indeed. This was their fault in the sense that the original plane was old enough for a non-expert to notice. You could see the rust on the tail from the gate window.

The whole thing cost us a few hours, which is probably why they were so generous. All in all, I was grateful not to take off with mechanical issues.

As for weather, I never expect to get anything for weather delays. The weather is beyond the airline's control completely.

I was on another carrier for a flight in a blizzard that was literally terrifying. When it comes to weather I would most definitely rather be at Starbucks in the terminal than in the air. I'm happy to wait out the storm.

Edited: 9:31 am, November 03, 2013
9. Re: Southwest Experience

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, November 05, 2014