We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I guess "Airplane Mode" is not off!

Shreveport...
reviews: 63
I guess "Airplane Mode" is not off!

Well I think I have been ( in error or most truthfully ignorance) putting my phone and iPad on airplane mode when boarding a flight, thinking I was following the rules.

But while on a Southwest flight a bit ago, while reading their in-flight magazine,the article said completely power off your devices and when given the okay from crew turn back on with airplane mode switched on.

I though airplane mode was powering off-but I think I misunderstood. Is this the case?

18 replies to this topic
Sydney/Melbourne
reviews: 41
1. Re: I guess "Airplane Mode" is not off!

Yep!

Airplane mode means you can only use programs on your device.

You can't make or receive calls and you can't send or receive data.

Before takeoff you have to power off your device after having put it in airplane mode. When you turn it on again in airplane mode you can play games, read book, watch downloaded movies, anything that is on the device, but no send or receive capabilities.

Derbyshire
reviews: 73
2. Re: I guess "Airplane Mode" is not off!

When your phone is in 'flight mode' it is still usable for certain things - playing games, music etc.

Therefore it can't be classed as being switched off.

On all the flights I've been on, you are asked to switch off your phone before take-off. Once in the air, it can be switched back on as long as it is in 'flight mode'.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
3. Re: I guess "Airplane Mode" is not off!

Correct.

Airplane mode is when the phone is switched ON, but the phone's transmit/receive is disabled. So although it won't work as a phone, you still have an electronic device switched on.

The correct thing to do is to firstly put the phone into airplane mode, then switch it off. That way, if you want to use it for the iPod features when airborne, you'll swicth it on and it will immediately be in airplane mode.

Banbury
4. Re: I guess "Airplane Mode" is not off!

<<I though airplane mode was powering off-but I think I misunderstood. Is this the case?>>

No I'm not sure what gave you that idea, it deactivates your devices communication features. Although on a phone things like WiFi can be switched back on while keeping off its network connection.

Shreveport...
reviews: 63
5. Re: I guess "Airplane Mode" is not off!

Blame it on my husband. He always told me to just put it on airplane mode.

Thanks for the replies and confirming that he was wrong! Will be powering off from now on ( and putting devices on airplane mode before doing so)

London, United...
reviews: 22
6. Re: I guess "Airplane Mode" is not off!

Ehrm, politely out of curiousity, did you not notice you could still actually use it for some things when air plane mode was on,,,something you can't quite do when it's switched off...:-))

Edited: 10:23 am, November 01, 2013
London, United...
reviews: 19
7. Re: I guess "Airplane Mode" is not off!

A lot of people will put their devices on 'standby' rather than completely powering them off

Eg: press iPad power button makes the screen go dark, but pressing and holding until power off option comes up is switching them off.

I'm not sure there is any difference, and as I don't use my iPad in flight it is not relevant to me, but I would be interested to know if standby is acceptable ?

London, United...
8. Re: I guess "Airplane Mode" is not off!

There is a difference, effectively the micro processor goes into low power mode but is still on in stand by, where as it switches off totally when the device is off.

Many other things happen, but it depends on the device. Whether it's acceptable or not, I don't know. Why not just power off,,not sure of the big deal? I think shortly we will be able to use our devices and much of the switch off issue is over hyped, but am no aviation expert, so I just switch off when asked.

Stand by is different to airplane mode, which is different to powering down.

London, United...
reviews: 19
9. Re: I guess "Airplane Mode" is not off!

Thanks Froggy !

Getting a bit 'long in the tooth' for all these new fangled gadgets :-D

Mine usually are totally powered off and not switched on at all, short haul requires a window seat and long haul is a window seat and moving map.

Mr Sazza needs more toys and gadgets than a five year old, so he makes up for me.

London, United...
10. Re: I guess "Airplane Mode" is not off!

Lol,,yes, the phrase " boys and their toys" although I have to say I'm a bit of a gadget geek:-))

Reply to: I guess "Airplane Mode" is not off!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted