We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advanced search functions

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 15
Advanced search functions

Recently I've been looking at a number of open-jaw flights with BA where I'm looking to fly out and back in different cabins, for instance out in Euro Traveller, back in Club Europe. The BA website does not allow me search for such combinations (as far as I can tell). Does anyone know of an engine that allows me to search for this? It's a pain having to call BA for price quotes every time.

6 replies to this topic
London, United...
reviews: 5
1. Re: Advanced search functions

Does it come out much more expensive if you look for one way flights each time ?

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 14
2. Re: Advanced search functions

I don't know about search engines but I've experienced similar issues with flights to/from the US where AA will give me a price for mixed cabin flights with BA - it might be that if using the Iberia website could also give you a price for mixed cabin class flights within Europe on BA codeshares but I'd always check the price with BA as well.

Auckland Region...
reviews: 214
3. Re: Advanced search functions

Hi Lexe,

I've been able to do it when booking Air New Zealand flights so I just had a look at the BA site to see if it could be done and good news. Yes it can. .

I tried it on a test booking LHR to Vienna return this Dec. First, choose your dates,destination, then search on economy airfares. When the dates and prices come up, for the outbound flight choose economy with baggage. It will then allow you to select business when you choose your inbound (return) flight.

Cheers.

Edited: 5:21 am, November 01, 2013
UK
reviews: 84
4. Re: Advanced search functions

A rough and ready way of doing it might be to price out a return in each class, then average it, eg if euro traveller return for the open jaw is £100 and club Europe return is £500, I think you'll find that mixed classes would be £300 give or take. I know this works when doing open jaw pricing anyway, cost is essentially average of return for each leg, so I'm thinking the way they work out mixed prices is not that complex.

One factor that would interfere with this is APD, I'd expect that if the ex-UK leg is the club one, that would be more than the other way.(and presumably that's the way you'd do it to get advantage of lounges?)

Edited: 5:23 am, November 01, 2013
Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 15
5. Re: Advanced search functions

"Does it come out much more expensive if you look for one way flights each time ?"

Unfortunately yes, often substantially so.

@Stanleyaukland: What you're suggesting only works for regular return flights. If you want an open-jaw ticket there's no option to choose business on the inbound flight only (that I can see anyway).

@Joe: That's usually what I end up doing although BA's website cannot even quote open-jaw returns in CE so I have to do that on AA.com. It's also a pretty unreliable method for reasons I have yet to determine. For instance, I just got a qoute on the phone this morning - open-jaw in economy: £210, open-jaw in CE: £393, mixed cabin: £650!

UK
reviews: 84
6. Re: Advanced search functions

Yes it's been discussed here before that BAs website is lacking in the mixed class booking category.

That pricing is bizarre Lex, was it absolutely identical flights apart from class ?

Ps if you aren't too bothered about the class the other option is book economy and then look for upgrade offers on each leg.

Edited: 4:25 am, November 02, 2013
Reply to: Advanced search functions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted