We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air fare comparisons

Ontario, Canada
reviews: 46
Air fare comparisons

Looking for a good airfare for rtn flight Detroit to Fort Lauderdale or Miami January 1/ January 11th. Can anyone direct me to a site where I can easily do price comparisons or where I might find discount prices (however of course I'm not looking for a "deal" that will "fall through" at a later date! lol) Thanks for any help you can provide. (This is a rather last minute vacation idea...I'm sure I should have bought tickets long ago.... I'm afraid to wait last minute in case there aren't available seats.)

5 replies to this topic
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
reviews: 14
1. Re: Air fare comparisons

http://matrix.itasoftware.com indicates that Spirit and Delta fly non stop from DTW to FLL with fares from about $US230 (with Spirit) return. Flights from DTW to MIA are available with AA and DL; fares start at about $US 320.

Keep in mind that none of these fares include any of the optional fees the airlines may charge for checked / hand baggage or seat selection. Ensure you check the full cost of the journey before buying.

There are flights available with connections. Should you book a flight with connections, please ensure you allow sufficient time, not only because of holiday travel but because of potential weather delays.

After checking fares at the ITA website, book directly with the airline.

Edited: 9:33 pm, October 31, 2013
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
reviews: 182
2. Re: Air fare comparisons

Excellent response in #1 - just to add one point. If you are interested in Southwest Airlines (likely connections only), you will need to search directly on their website. Their fares are not listed at itasoftware. And, as stated, don't forge the fees. They can add up quickly.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 75
3. Re: Air fare comparisons

Kayak.com is another good comparison site.

Limerick, Ireland
4. Re: Air fare comparisons

January 1st is a PEAK travel period

Are you flexible on the dates ?

Cheaper days to travel are Tuesday and Wednesday

so from Jan, 7th or 8th would get you a lower fare

Use SKYSCANNER.NET / for quotes

then compare with the airline(s) directly.

Look at flights out of Hamilton Ont or Buffalo, NY

Ontario, Canada
reviews: 46
5. Re: Air fare comparisons

Thank you so much for all the helpful replies. This is exactly what I need. I knew going in that it was high rate season...I would normally NEVER even try to get budget rates on those dates. However we are dropping someone off at the Detroit airport on January 1st and just discovered that I have a few extra days off work right then. Inspiration!! Why not connect a week of holidays to the days off and go somewhere warm....thus the specific full fare date and being locked into Detroit airport as a departure point. I'm hoping I can find something that fits the budget for this trip...after all we will have just celebrated a 35th anniversary the week before so ... why not??! Thanks for your help!

Reply to: Air fare comparisons
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted