We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Take own full size pillow on Perth to LA cathy economy

Australia
Take own full size pillow on Perth to LA cathy economy

Hi - thinking of taking own full size pillow on flight to try for comfort. Hoping to sleep. I have lorazepam and motion sickness wafer to take. Anything else I could do? Thanks

22 replies to this topic
melbourne
reviews: 32
1. Re: Take own full size pillow on Perth to LA cathy economy

full size pillow is way too big. you will end up with half of it on the face of the person next to you. (i am assuming you are flying economy?)

London, United...
reviews: 22
2. Re: Take own full size pillow on Perth to LA cathy economy

agree, plus you will have to carry it about with you. Unless you are in business or first, thats just going to be cumbersome.

sydney
reviews: 76
3. Re: Take own full size pillow on Perth to LA cathy economy

don;t do it ... I agree completely with #1... the passenger next to you will not be amused at having your pillow in their face for 14 hours. Get a blow up one or one of those squishy little bean neck pillows.

Sydney/Melbourne
reviews: 41
4. Re: Take own full size pillow on Perth to LA cathy economy

I don't know - if you have a window seat and you prop the pillow between you and the window it could work without bothering anyone else. If you buy a cheap pillow you could just leave it behind.

I think I would go for a child sized pillow rather than an adult one, but it's a good idea. May try it myself next time I fly Economy.

If flying makes you anxious and you are used to lorazapam then I guess you know what you are doing. Hopefully it's not the first time you have used them as they can have some pretty strange side effects.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 17
5. Re: Take own full size pillow on Perth to LA cathy economy

I hope the meds you are taking are YOUR prescription, not someone else's. In terms of the pillow. Understand that it will be part of your carryon allowance. Personally, since you are flying economy ---even at a window--I think it is going to be way to large for the seat and you will end up finding it a hinderance! Get a u shaped blow up--or buy a small pillow that rolls tight and is meant for travel.

note guys: it SAYS he is economy in the question title.

Edited: 9:20 am, October 31, 2013
Cornwall
reviews: 9
6. Re: Take own full size pillow on Perth to LA cathy economy

That will be nice for the person next to you. A travel neck pillow may be a better idea.

Medford, Oregon
reviews: 15
7. Re: Take own full size pillow on Perth to LA cathy economy

Bring an empty zippered pillowcase. Fill it with clothing from your carry on - sweatshirt, etc. You have a pillow without having to take extra space with a pillow.

Or, a travel pillow that I really liked is the TravelRest pillow. http://www.travelrest.net/

It's compact and inflatable, but completely different from the traditional U shaped neck pillows. It gives you a place to lean your head in a more natural position. I used it on flights to and from San Francisco between and Seoul. I got the most sleep I've ever had on a plane - in economy. I didn't attach the pillow to my seat back as shown on the site, but used the alternative method of wearing it like messenger bag.

Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 21
8. Re: Take own full size pillow on Perth to LA cathy economy

I always take a full size pillow with me when flying Brisbane to LA - though I have always had a window seat and my husband is beside me. I use the airline pillow to cushion my body against the armrest and my large pillow to prop up against the wall. Inside the pillow case I also have a light jumper and pair of socks too (makes them handy to get to). We fly that route usually every 12-18months, so take an old pillow with me and then discard it once I get to the hotel - I keep the case. That way a pillow at home is being replaced . Just found that it's something that has made the start of my holiday more comfortable and I can actually get some sleep. I don't worry about it on the way home cause I've had a great holiday and am usually exhausted enough to sleep and be semi-comfortable.

Edited: 3:01 pm, October 31, 2013
Adelaide, Australia
reviews: 32
9. Re: Take own full size pillow on Perth to LA cathy economy

I have a small inflatable padded pillow that I take with me everywhere. It is about 1/4 the size of a normal pillow and folds up very small to fit into my hand luggage.

Edited: 6:23 pm, October 31, 2013
Exeter, United...
reviews: 31
10. Re: Take own full size pillow on Perth to LA cathy economy

Perhaps look and see if you can take a blow up mattress too?

After all when compressed it won't take up much room or weight.

I am sure that no other passengers will be inconvenienced.

Reply to: Take own full size pillow on Perth to LA cathy economy
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted