We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Non- responsiveness of BA

Dunfermline, United...
reviews: 1
Non- responsiveness of BA

Following the cancellation of a flight from London, Gatwick to Edinburgh on disembarking from an overnight flight from Orlando, the flight home to Edinburgh was cancelled. This followed delays on the outbound flight from Edinburgh to London, Heathrow. (The result of this delay was that we missed our connection to Washington). I wrote to BA over a week ago (Royal Mail's tracking system showed that the letter was delivered 1 week ago).

Any suggestions for getting BA to at least acknowledge receipt (and provide some indication of when a substantive response will be made) would be greatly appreciated.

25 replies to this topic
Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 15
1. Re: Non- responsiveness of BA

My last query (half a question/half a complaint) got a response after 6 weeks. This was by email a couple of months ago. Are you claiming for compensation? If not, I would not expect much in the way of substantive response aside from them being sorry for the inconvenience.

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 14
2. Re: Non- responsiveness of BA

To be honest one week is hardly enough time for BA to investigate and respond - I normally prefer telephone contact when I have an issue with an airline.

Salisbury, United...
reviews: 62
3. Re: Non- responsiveness of BA

I think you are expecting a reply much quicker than a large company can do. Your letter will have to find the correct department, investigate before any reply can be sent. In my experience if you send by post, a reply will be by post, this takes longer than emails.

You should be giving them at least 2 weeks to reply but most probably 6 weeks is more realistic. Have you tried to solve by phone in the first instance.

Edited: 5:17 pm, October 30, 2013
Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
reviews: 265
4. Re: Non- responsiveness of BA

No large airline would reply within a week... As the other mentioned, count rather 4 to 6 weeks...

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
reviews: 14
5. Re: Non- responsiveness of BA

5648Tom, you were wise to write to BA rather than send an email, as the latter often disappear into the subether.

With the fog that plagued LHR last week and the storm a couple of days ago, the airline will have a fairly large number of passengers to deal with, although as mentioned the airline may be looking into details of your flights before responding and your letter was delivered a week ago.

If, and I hope this does not happen, you get a cut and paste reply (that does not address the matters you mentioned) from A Prat then please write again. If you want to explore details of flight cancellations and delays, visit www.flightaware.com which has masses of information.

6. Re: Non- responsiveness of BA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 10:20 am, October 31, 2013

london
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
reviews: 149
7. Re: Non- responsiveness of BA

Dealing with BA isn't easy,as I think the system is set up to fob you off. A week isn't long enough for a kick on the dinosaur's tail to even get to its head, so wait a while. Keep copies of your letters. If you get nothing by 2-3 weeks write again with a copy of your original letter.

Next is to address letter 3 to Martin Broughton, and final is to write to their press office telling them you will write to (newspaper of choice) or failing that Daily Mail in 10 days.

I had to escalate to chairman to get a refund of a taxi fare after they cancelled inbound to LCY and dropped me at LHR

Edited: 4:31 am, November 01, 2013
Dunfermline, United...
reviews: 1
8. Re: Non- responsiveness of BA

Thank you. This was most helpful and I suspect I may have to follow the same route eventually. Again, my thanks

London, United...
reviews: 23
9. Re: Non- responsiveness of BA

It will never ever get to Martin broughton, I can assure you, it will be opened by one of the PAs and sent back in the internal post to customer services,just delaying the whole thing. The same will happen with a letter to the press office. Do you know how many people think that's a good idea,,,when it's one of the worst? What do you think they do? The chairman and the press office are sitting around reading tonnes of complaint letters every day?

No, the PAs fire it over to the correct customer services department, where a rep logs it in their system allocates an owner and then closes it out within a period of time as the company dictates ie 28 days, in line with its prioritisation ie date received, seriousness of issue,,,etc.

The refund Ethelman got he would have got anyway, and probably quicker, it was not due to the fact he wrote to the press office and Martin broughton and they were all deeply concerned and acted promptly. Lol.

A week is not enough. What exactly are you looking for and why are your writing to them? Has your ticket been refunded? Were you put on another flight ? Why was your flight cancelled? Were you given duty of care ie hotel and accommodation?

If you provide further information the forum can help guide you as to what you are entitled to and what is reasonable.

London
Destination Expert
for London
reviews: 73
10. Re: Non- responsiveness of BA

On another thread not too far away, someone did have to wait 4 weeks or so but got compensation for a delay (despite the fact she arguably wasn't entitled to any). It will go through the system but you will have to be patient. I do agree that sending a complaint to Broughton (or any other C suite executive) will just throw a spanner in the works esp for something like this. Although the idea that they may actually open their own mail is quite charming.

Reply to: Non- responsiveness of BA
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted