We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Atlanta--clearing customs and making connection

Minneapolis...
reviews: 50
Atlanta--clearing customs and making connection

We will be flying from Johannesburg to Minneapolis with a layover in Atlanta. Is 2 hours enough time to clear immigration/customs and make our flight? We are flying Delta if that makes a difference. Thanks!

Atlanta, Georgia
reviews: 12
1. Re: Atlanta--clearing customs and making connection

I should think two hours would be enough. FYI, there is a Traveler Article in the Atlanta forum that describes the process:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60898-c123635/Atlant…

-JimG

Nashville, TN
reviews: 8
2. Re: Atlanta--clearing customs and making connection

As long as you're on one ticket, they'll put you on the next flight with available seating if you happen to miss your connection. Since both Atlanta and Minneapolis are major DL hubs, there should be plenty of flights.

Minneapolis...
reviews: 50
3. Re: Atlanta--clearing customs and making connection

Thanks for all the help!

Edmonton, Canada
reviews: 67
4. Re: Atlanta--clearing customs and making connection

If you have to stand in the foreigners' line, the answer is NO!

Immigration at Atlanta is hopeless. I *never* fly through Atlanta anymore.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
reviews: 58
5. Re: Atlanta--clearing customs and making connection

>>>Immigration at Atlanta is hopeless. I *never* fly through Atlanta anymore<<<

Whilst I cannot comment on your particular experiences, I think that for the volume of traffic they handle at ATL, they are as good as any airport with the equivalent traffic that I've experienced.

Maybe they just like Australian passports.

Edited: 12:22 am, October 30, 2013
tucson, az
reviews: 6
6. Re: Atlanta--clearing customs and making connection

>>If you have to stand in the foreigners' line, the answer is NO!

Immigration at Atlanta is hopeless. I *never* fly through Atlanta anymore.<<

Have you been through since they opened the new international terminal?

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
reviews: 347
7. Re: Atlanta--clearing customs and making connection

ATL is very well organised, especially considering it is the largest airport in the world by number of passengers! The key here is really to be travelling on one single ticket, so if you miss your connection, Delta will deal with this and rebook you on the next available flight.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
8. Re: Atlanta--clearing customs and making connection

"Have you been through since they opened the new international terminal?"

Nope, but I've connected at ATL long before it was opened and made 2 hour connections easily ..... while using the foreigner line before I naturalized. In fact the new terminal should make connections easier, as ATL destination pax no longer need to re-clear security to exit the airport. And so they no longer clog up the line for transit pax.

Plus, if the flights are on one ticket, even if you don't make it you'll be rebooked on the next flight with available seats at no additional cost.

tucson, az
reviews: 6
9. Re: Atlanta--clearing customs and making connection

>> In fact the new terminal should make connections easier, as ATL destination pax no longer need to re-clear security to exit the airport. And so they no longer clog up the line for transit pax.<<

It was nice coming back from Italy last year to see that those terminating their trips in Atlanta were sent off to a different terminal; we got lucky and lost a huge chunk of the passengers as we walked to baggage claim. It took us (US citizens) 40 minutes from landing until we were sitting at a food court eating.

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 3
10. Re: Atlanta--clearing customs and making connection

I had a 3hr layover in Atlanta Aug last year going from Johannesburg to Toronto. Everything went very smooth and quick. No problems. I think you would be able to do 2hrs fine.