We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air France - holding me hostage!

Leicester, United...
reviews: 2
Air France - holding me hostage!

Made an Air France booking at end of Sept. they sent me an email confirmation stating my correct name. Tried to use online reservation system and couldn't so rang them - told me that name held on system was wrong due to my mistake and want to charge me £40 to put it right. They stated that I wouldn't be allowed to board the flight unless my name was as per my passport. They won't accept that their email was misleading and didn't suggest that my name details were incorrect on their systems. Can anyone suggest how I can get this matter resolved? Air France advisor was quite arrogant and showed no empathy or understanding. I feel like a hostage - I would be down £200 if I cancelled the flight but I can't board unless I pay £40 for something that I was misled about. I wouldn't have found out about it until very late if I hadn't have tried to find out about excess baggage charges well in advance.I have contacted ABTA and am awaiting their response. Can anyone suggest anything? Thanks

30 replies to this topic
Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
reviews: 34
1. Re: Air France - holding me hostage!

Abta can't do anything to help you with a booking made direct with an airline.

Edited: 4:49 pm, October 28, 2013
Romford, United...
reviews: 23
2. Re: Air France - holding me hostage!

ABTA won't help you, instead of beating yourself up over something that both sides agree to disagree over, pay the money, move on and enjoy the trip

London, United...
reviews: 22
3. Re: Air France - holding me hostage!

Did you book on line? If so you made a mistake in the input. Pay the fee and fix it. It's forty bucks. You are not being held hostage. Don't be silly. That's the standard change fee.

London.UK
reviews: 1
4. Re: Air France - holding me hostage!

A rather OTT title don't you think ? Not sure what ABTA have to do with anything either to be honest.

London
reviews: 21
5. Re: Air France - holding me hostage!

If so you made a mistake in the input. <<<<<

Then why did poster receive e-mail confirmation in correct name.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
reviews: 71
6. Re: Air France - holding me hostage!

Hi,

Agree with #3.. Assuming* you made the reservation yourself via an online channel, then barring a very small odds of a system error, it was in all likelihood your initial error that got you here..

(Note: This does not explicitly exclude as possible a AF system failure or something in the technology after the OP purchased, but does say that IMHO, the odds of such occurring here are not favorable.)

I understand how you feel, but we both know there is no "hostage" here.. It is rather a simple matter of AF (apparently) correctly enforcing their policy on such matters.

Unless you have some reasonable and credible evidence to suggest AF was at fault or similar, I suggest you pay the fee - own up to what occurred -- and move on.

Travel Safe,

Edited: 4:56 pm, October 28, 2013
London, United...
reviews: 22
7. Re: Air France - holding me hostage!

>>Then why did poster receive e-mail confirmation in correct name<<

Because it could have been linked to the email address Or contact info and not what the ticket was booked under,,,,

Jerusalem
Destination Expert
for Israel
8. Re: Air France - holding me hostage!

I assumed <<e-mail confirmation in correct name>> was a typo for <<with incorrect name>> or <<in incorrect name>>.

If the name was correct why did the OP contact the airline to correct it?

Or am I missing something?

London
reviews: 21
9. Re: Air France - holding me hostage!

Could have been and could have not been - something we will never know - and something we should not speculate about.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 17
10. Re: Air France - holding me hostage!

I guess the question is what part of the email had the correct name. WAs the correct name included in the body of the email i.e. John Clark has reserved a ticket for XXX OR was the correct name only correct on the email address. If so, it could be the email program that supplied the correct name.

True story: someone I know sent what he had intended to be an annoymous comment to my co op's mailing list. However it came from Ben Smith ( xyz@gmail.com) What Ben didn't realize was that when he filled out his information on gmail and GAVE them his first and last name THEY automatically put it into outgoing emails. There IS a work around and I supplied it!

note: xyz@gmail.com is an address I just made up--don't use it -:)

Edited: 5:12 pm, October 28, 2013
Reply to: Air France - holding me hostage!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted