We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will my nan be able to fly?

London, United...
reviews: 2
Will my nan be able to fly?

Hi, my nan is having carpal tunnel surgery on 10th November an has a holiday booked for 19th-20th November to Turkey with Thomson.

There is a possibility she may be in a cast but should that effect her flying?

She doesn't need to stay in hospital over night and it's 9 days after the surgery but I wondered if tere would be any problems.

Thank you

14 replies to this topic
Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
1. Re: Will my nan be able to fly?

A cast is not something that will worry an airline about the medical fitness to travel. She may get some extra attention at security about the cast. As long as her doctor approves it should not be an issue.

Travelling The World
reviews: 17
2. Re: Will my nan be able to fly?

With her wing in a cast she might find the flapping a bit difficult! ;-)

Seriously no, it won't be an issue. People fly in casts all the time. She may be a bit uncomfortable but she should not be prevented from flying.

Edited: 8:29 am, October 25, 2013
London, United...
reviews: 98
3. Re: Will my nan be able to fly?

I flew with my arm in a cast

airline insisted on a "split cast" incase of swelling

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 17
4. Re: Will my nan be able to fly?

Check with both her doctor and the airline for permission from the former and policy from the later.

Kendal, United...
reviews: 115
5. Re: Will my nan be able to fly?

Agree with rdglady better to check.

I flew back from India with a broken wrist in a split cast on my arm, they swabbed it at security but were only concerned if it was a split cast.

Broke the same arm 8 weeks later!!! (Slipped on Ice) I know - how daft ! different place on the wrist this time Was flying out to Geneva Easyjet, confronted by staff as I boarded the plane asking me I it was a split cast - no it wasn't however I managed to get on by telling them the Doctor said it was ok to fly and that the cast had been on quite some time.

With hindsight it would have been much better to check before

uk
reviews: 20
6. Re: Will my nan be able to fly?

I had both mine done at the same time (not the cleverest idea I had) stopped me doing a lot of things but flying wasn't one of them, not sure why her hand would be in a cast it's normally stitched and bandaged.

Deb

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 40
7. Re: Will my nan be able to fly?

Hi

She should be fine to fly, as per comments above.

However, with a wrist in plaster, even if she normally has no mobility problem, carrying her hand luggage and having tickets/passports, etc to hand, even if small and light might be an issue. It might be worth her while requesting assistance - phone the airline in advance to request this - so she gets wheeled in a chair and somebody else carries the hand luggage, or she rides on one of those electric buggies - around the airport so doesn't have to carry her stuff any distance and juggle tickets and bags with the one good hand/arm.

SWT

Worthing, United...
reviews: 11
8. Re: Will my nan be able to fly?

Hi

If she is in a cast it's always worth getting a permission to fly letter from the doctor.

Jackie

uk
reviews: 6
9. Re: Will my nan be able to fly?

It might be a good idea to inform her travel insurance company, just to cover herself - even if something unrelated happens.

Cookham Dean...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
10. Re: Will my nan be able to fly?

She will have external stitches - and they won't be removed within 9 days...so I don't think she'll be able to go away that early.

But she needs to ask her doctor not post on a travel forum.

Reply to: Will my nan be able to fly?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted